We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

walkie talkie for cycling

len2012 21 Jun 17:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi my wife and I love cycling, but the only problem is talking due to the traffic noise we cannot communicate. Does anyone know of a good hands free system for bikes and where to get them, not to pricey though. I might also need it next year for a long charity ride I'm doing solo, so need to communicate with support vehicle.
Len2012

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Brightlingsea Circular
dudley 22 Jun 02:49  

Bike:

My Profile
two separate issues here.

The 'off the shelf' walkie talkies are brilliant, and most come with a hands free solution, a version of which motorcyclists use a lot.
However, they are enclosed in a helmet out of the wind. I think you'll get a lot of road / wind noise that will make it a bit pants, unless you invest in a windproof mike - probably a bit more pricey.

as for team radio contact, this solution may not be ideal. They usually have a range of around 2km, which may not be good enough for contacting a support vehicle.

maybe best to go with the mobile phone for that one. bluetooth earpiece? still will suffer serious wind noise, though.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

len2012 22 Jun 14:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for that dudley, but I've tried off the shelf ones and we use them when motorcycling, but I was thinking more like the ones they use on the tour de france. y/know the ones they banned last year during some stages. Anybody any ideas. Yes I probably will use bluetooth and mobile next year,
Regards
Len

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Brightlingsea Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.