We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

to the person who wrote the 'cycling abroad' guide in 'cycle Guides'

edwin 04 Jul 08:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

thanks a lot, it was I nice read.

I just wanted to inform you, that for Germany part, there is a mistake.
'Cyclists actually have right of way over any other vehicle or pedestrian' is not quite right.
As in any other country, we have rules for the traffic. And sometimes cyclist have an equal right of way as motorized vehicles. Even then it is often not wise to insist on your right of way, because the motorists are stronger and better shielded.
Maybe German motorists obey the rules a bit more than motorists in other countries, so that the 'right of weight' rule is less important in Germany. But you know Germans like to go fast and any other person on the road is just an obstacle that has to be taken.

It is true, we have lots of cycle lanes and long distance cycle tracks and they are mostly free of motorized traffic.

ballochboy 04 Jul 09:14  

Bike:

I have stayed in Germany (Army) and was always told to give way to cyclists when driving around town. They do have a lot of cycle laines but I do know that the Polizei would stop a motorist for not giving way.

edwin 04 Jul 09:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Ballochboy,

So bad, that German drivers are not taught the same.

Sure, as motorized driver, you have to give the right of way to cyclists whenever they have the right of way.
Example: (In Germany, as in he rest of continental europe, we drive on the right lane)
- When you want to turn left, you must give the right of way to the opposing traffic, no matter car or bikecycle.
- A special case: If you are on a priority road and you want to turn right, there might be cyclists passing you on the right. Those cyclist are on a priority road and they have the right of way, you as a driver must wait. Remember, as a cyclist, do not insist on your right of way because you are the one to die in case of an accident.

Cheers Edwin

mattk 05 Jul 10:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Edwin,

Me!... I was the one who wrote the guide. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

In response to your advise - just as Ballochboy experienced... I was told to always give way to cyclists both as a driver and pedestrian in Germany and if caught not doing so by police I could be prosecuted. I realise there is definitely a need to take precaution when taking on motorised vehicles (as humans are obviously more fragile than metal), however I found that when I was cycling in Germany and hesitated at utilising my right of way, motorists got quite frustrated.

Just be very careful of cycle and pedestrian (zebra) crossings before and after roundabout junctions - in my opinion they are a ridiculous idea as motorists have enough to concentrate on without a cyclist or runner coming from nowhere! There are a few roundabouts like this still in Britain but most have been moved as they are too dangerous.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

edwin 07 Jul 10:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Well,

as a general rule I would say, as cyclist you have the right of way whenever a car would have the right of way, too. If you have the impression, that a driver has recognized you and is willing to give you the right of way (e.g. slowing down) then take your right of way.

In the latest years it even became a fashion to take the priority of cyclists on cycle lanes at priority roads. For example, you have a Bundesstraße (federal road/class A road ??). The cars the road always have priority but on the cycle lane you have a stop sign at every minor road that is crossing.

So it is not quite "cyclers paradise" in Germany. But we are closer than some of the other countries ;-)

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.