We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

speed limit

jones5723 23 Aug 09:45  

Bike:

does anyone know if there is a speed limit set down in the highway code for cyclists using cycle lanes?

happy 23 Aug 10:21  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
hi jones5723,

I may be wrong, but I'm sure cyclists have to obey the same speed limits imposed on motorists. I think to be honest they probably assume most people on a push bike can't reach the speed limit.

Cheers

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Murray Barnes 23 Aug 14:28  

Bike:

My Profile
I know that in parks in Glasgow, you're supposed to stick to 5mp, but I also know that nobody ever does, except maybe 5 year olds on those tiny bikes.

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Great Glen Cycleway

happy 23 Aug 14:30  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
It would be really hard to stick to 5mph eh, considering humans walk about 3 to 4mph.

Can you imagine they enforced it for runner lol.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

A Nutter 24 Aug 18:01  

Bike:

My Profile
I was breaking the speed limit today on the GNBR!! Overtook a BMW when I was going for a right turn!!

oorwullie 09 Sep 08:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Let sense prevail.
If in Public parks then one should always apply caution where there are children and animals, since they are oblivious to a tring on the bell; in fact some adults are as well at times, remember someone could be hard of hearing and genuinly not aware of your presence.
On the highway always think about what you can handle in an emergency with regard to the surface and traffic conditions. If one wants to be 'racer type' then I suggest they go to areas free of hazard and put themselves at risk only.

My Latest Route: Sep 2008 NCR55 Barnt Green to Alvechurch to Arrow Valley

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.