We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

should you cycle when you're under the weather??

sallyann 13 Oct 14:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
What does everyone think, when you're not feeling great shoud you just ignore it and get out there, or rest in doors? Got a cold not sure whether to cycle or listen to my mothers old wives tales!!

sean8997 13 Oct 16:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Hiya Sallyann,

I'm not the most experinced of cyclists by any means but I'm of the opinion that if your not feeling the best you should take a rest as if you go out feeling rough and have a poo ride it may put you off for a little while when you could of been recovering and prolong your sickness, as I say I'm not the most experienced as I've only taken up cycling really since Feb.

Good luck and hope you get well soon.

Sean

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

dudley 15 Oct 02:59  

Bike:

My Profile
do you run when you're under the weather?
swim?

depends how bad it is - are you getting worse or already on the road to recovery?

Certainly the remnants of a cold do lead to a very snotty ride!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Ghedebrav 15 Oct 05:01  

Bike:

I had a cold last week and to be honest cycling to and from work just made me feel worse. Made my sore throat worse and just added to the general run-down feeling. Mind you, I'm not really one of those macho, lycra-wearing, red-light-jumping, aggressive-overtaking cyclists. Such people would no doubt laugh at my puniness. But my advice - don't punish yourself. Take a day off.

BusterG 18 Oct 05:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi - medical advise and my wifes' is always always always never exercise when ill, recovering or think you might be comming down with something.
I, on the other hand, find that if I suspect I am comming down with some dreaded lurgy the best thing to do is to go for some medium to light exercise and this works (for me) when recovering too.
My theory is that the exercise increases your metabolism and increased heart rate will help your body recover faster. Dont forget the endorphine factor too.

it is a personal thing what is right for the goose isnt always right for the gander.
Take it easy

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.