We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

novice cyclist needs advice in cycling in large numbers

Me Gell 28 Sep 15:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Cycled for many years but mainly on todd or with a few more people of different levels. Recently cycled an event with 600 hundred other cyclists and had a lot of problems cycling in a bunch, ie 10 or so would pass, i'd join on the end and then had to break which i definitly did'nt want to do at that time as we were cycling into a stiff wind for 20 odd miles. So either i then dropped of the back or found myself powering(?) Back upto the front and being totally knackered as your aware their are cyclists on you're back wheel. Eventully i was dropped back the majority of groups and cycled on todd last few windy miles pretty much expired. Any tips?

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 The Pleasance Edinburgh to Dunbar Route One
happy 28 Sep 19:38  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
I don't really have much experience of cycling in large groups. I did lots of short races when I was younger but the aim was obviously to get past as many as you could.

I would only suggest that you try and find ppl in the bunches that are cycling roughly at the same pace as you, and stick with them. The thing you have to remember is you may find you are braking but that may only be because you have sped up since tailing someone i.e. you have gotten a wind break, if that makes sense. Which can be good to do for a while to get strength back up for taking your turn cycling at the front.

Anyway just ramblings, let me know if you get any good tips.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.