We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

gpx into google maps?

1 2 3 > >>
mobelea 22 Aug 15:12  

Bike:

Does anyone know how I can import a .gpx route into google maps on my android phone?

The gps on there would be really useful for keeping me on track, but there doesn't seem any option to import that file type. I'll keep looking into it and post again if I figure it out!

KeithB 02 Sep 16:23  

Bike:

Good point - I too would like to see greater details of the routes posted in gpx form. I tried to import the gpx files into Google gpx viewer but it came up with an error - wrong format. Seems the gpx files posted do not contain the header information required by the Google viewer. If anyone has explored how best to use the gpx files associated with each route it would be very helpful to have more information on how they can be used.

mobelea 02 Sep 16:34  

Bike:

The furthest I got with this was importing the gpx into google earth then exporting from there as a kmz file (which google maps is supposed to support). When I did this the route didn't seem to appear in Maps although the file opened. Not sure what I could do differently, it's hard to understand why Maps doesn't import gpx.

Outrunner 02 Sep 16:40  

Bike:

My Profile
This may help http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/maps/thread?tid=4063373531f11e1b&hl=en

mobelea 02 Sep 16:53  

Bike:

Oooh looks interesting, thanks! Will have a proper look when i have less of a headache :-)

KeithB 06 Sep 16:07  

Bike:

These look good - I shall certainly follow them up. Many thanks for the help.

freddylocks 13 Sep 18:08  

Bike:

Hi, I personally do all my mapping using http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

You can upload gpx files and then download them as kml files (make sure you check that the route is still correct). Once done you can go to google maps, sign in, and then import a route.

On your android phone you can then go to the google maps app and then go to layers / more layers / my maps, and then choose your route and it will display it on screen.

Important note is that if you do not have a phone signal then you can not see the map or the map does not update.

I am using a htc desire and this is my favoured method of navigation when cycling now. I have a handlebar bag and made a small waterproof holder for my phone, so now i no longer have to stop to get maps out or have to waste time working out whether i am at the correct road or not.

I am considering investing in a solar charger which can charge my phone while cycling.

If i am doing a particularly long ride then I take a map with me just in case of issues.

MadGutts 15 Sep 18:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I too have had issues with GPX files, however this site will export to GPX files:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Siple to use, just put your route in and save it for others and it does export to a gpx file via and external link!

Hope this will help!

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Witney to Ferryman Inn, Bablock Hythe

happy 16 Sep 03:15  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
@mobelea

When importing into Google Earth did you tick the box that says KML line strings? This should show the route, albeit with point names all over it.

We'll need to see about providing a KML download link I think :)

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

happy 16 Sep 04:15  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
hi all,

Just quickly hacked something together, can those of you who use KML routes, please let me know if this works for you.

http://www.cycle-route.com/gpx/Okehampton_to_Sourton_Down_Loop-Cycle-Route-5168.kml

Cheers

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

mseebach 15 Apr 18:10  

Bike:

@happy: That KML link works brilliantly! Just copy-paste it into the search-box on Google Maps, and off we go.

Thanks!

specialized 08 Feb 04:01  

Bike:

It is possible to import .gpx files directly in Google Maps by using the MyTracks application,
and following the steps I reported here:

http://mycomputertroubles.wordpress.com/category/mobile/

seomind 20 Nov 02:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Regular visits listed here are the easiest method to appreciate your energy, which is why why I am going to the website everyday, searching for new, interesting info. Many, thank you! scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 02:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the informative and helpful post, obviously in your blog everything is good.. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Just pure brilliance from you here. I have never expected something less than this from you and you have not disappointed me at all. I suppose you will keep the quality work going on. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:05  

Bike:

My Profile
This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:13  

Bike:

My Profile
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Well, this got me thinking what other workouts are good for those of us who find ourselves on the road or have limited equipment options. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I have checked this link this is really important for the people to get benefit from. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food additionally, Thanks. scam risk

seomind 20 Nov 03:32  

Bike:

My Profile
I would also motivate just about every person to save this web page for any favorite assistance to assist posted the appearance. scam risk

mrseod 18 Apr 14:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What"s more, i"m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things Online Success Plan Review

mrseod 18 Apr 14:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up Online Success Plan Review

mrseod 18 Apr 14:38  

Bike:

My Profile
It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Online Success Plan Review

mrseod 18 Apr 14:40  

Bike:

My Profile
You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! Silva Method Reviews

mrseod 18 Apr 14:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up Silva Method Reviews

mrseod 18 Apr 14:46  

Bike:

My Profile
wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. Silva Method Reviews

mrseod 18 Apr 14:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks Jeff Bishop Reviews

mrseod 18 Apr 14:52  

Bike:

My Profile
This post is good enough to make somebody understand this amazing thing, and I’m sure everyone will appreciate this interesting things. Jeff Bishop Reviews

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.