We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

fitting wider tyres to my sirrus

wolfboy 02 Aug 13:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

I have a Sirrus Elite which came with 28C tyres. I will be doing the Isle Wight ride this year, probably the 50mile route which is described as "'may not be suitable for road bikes"

Does any one know if you can fit wider tyres to a Sirrus, without changing wheels and would the frame be ok for gentle off road, (gravel paths).

Regards

Martin

raywebb 02 Aug 13:54  

Bike:

My Profile
I did this route about 5 years ago...it certainly wasn't suitable for road bikes then. Quite a bit of single track through woods etc from Cowes to Yarmouth and again over to the west of the island past Sandown.

You could by-pass the off road sections as there is a coastal road that goes round most of the island.

It's a great ride though.

Ray

wolfboy 02 Aug 18:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi raywebb, I will have my 13 year old son with me who has only done a 25 and 32, so thought the round the Island route which 70, might be a bit much?

I do have an old mountain bike I could use, but the Sirrus is so nice to ride, I was wondering if I could turn it into a hybrid for the day.

dudley 03 Aug 02:34  

Bike:

My Profile
the rims will probably take 35's but you need to check clearance near the stem / brakes etc.
Depending on the bike and breaks, it may be hard to get the tyre past the brake blocks, even when eased for removing the wheel.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

wolfboy 03 Aug 05:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for your reply, I think I will find an old tyre and give it a go. The bike has carbon forks, do you think these will be ok, or could they be damaged, on gravel etc?

Wolfboy

dudley 03 Aug 08:41  

Bike:

My Profile
don't know the bike, but as you can buy a full carbon MTB, i dont think the material itself is an issue. Just like steel or aluminium, the just use more of it, in different sections for the MTB than the road bikes.

if it is gravel paths, and nothing more adventurous, you should be alright with wider tyres if yo can get them, i'd have thought.

worth an email / call to the organiser? they'll know exactly how 'off-road' the route is.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.