We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

cycling touring across the pyrenees

tourdescotland 29 Jan 04:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Im planning a return trip cycling from Atlantic to mediteranian across the french pyrenees and back to atlantic on the spanish andorra side. Plan on being fully loaded to cut costs. Got 13 days to do it. i dont mind really long days in saddle. Any advice please

loz500 29 Jan 06:40  

Bike:

Hi Did Barca to Biarritz through Andorra in 6 days its about 550 miles. so 13 days should be plenty of time. I didnt have much gear with me and stayed in B+Bs and spent 100 euros.
You will burn through the calories so eat plenty there are cafes at the top of most cols but not all of them, so take some food with you and some gels. In France things close in the afternoon so plan ahead. I got through 4 and 6 litres of water a day it was in july, it was hot. take sun block and savalon cream.

tourdescotland 29 Jan 15:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Ioz500

Excellent, if you have any info on your route it would greatly appreciated, Iv sussed the route across france which basically follows the RAID Pro Strengh route which takes in a few extra Cols like Hautacam but Iv not really looked at the return route.. Will prob be going start of August so unfortunaly will prob get alot of holiday traffic.. Ill be camping as then i dont need to worry about finding accomodation... Plus ill get to test the Vango nitro 200+
Any advice on the best Map or guie books for more info :0)

skiad1 29 Jan 16:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Michelin 1:200000 for the French side.....Don't know about the Spanish side but the maps I used whilst crossing via vielha to benebarre were cack!(internet/lonely planet rubbish). I found campsites much more prevalent on the french side, though I've only ventured into Spain that one tour. I also found a massive difference in temperature/climate when comparing the two sides, French side considerably cooler(read bearable!) in July, though when I crossed from Ochagavia via Pass de Larrau, whilst still very very hot, it wasn't as 'unbearable' as the area further East. Reckon you'll find a mountain of route info, etc, if you search for it. Btw, not sure about The Hautacam fitting in with your plans as, & I'm sure you know this already, it's a dead end. If your intention's col bagging, rather than touring, 13 days might be an ask....Even with long days in the saddle & esp. as you're going loaded. The route, further up the valley, to Col de tentes(another dead end) is tougher/longer & prettier/more dramatic than Hautacam, IMHO. You also have the added attraction of having one foot in France & one in Spain(well almost!). Then, as you say you're taking a 'raid' route, back down the valley to cross via Tourmalet.

Best of luck!

loz500 29 Jan 16:41  

Bike:

Hi tourdescotland

we basically followed the tour route from 2009 for the Andorra leg so check that out. I wasnt the map person so cant be to much help other than that but try and check out routes via Bilbao as you can fly back from there.

tourdescotland 29 Jan 16:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Cool, yeh I see that hautacam is dead end but wouldn't miss it, my plan is to knock off as many colls as possible on French side, plan is to do my usual 14. - 15 hour days and do around 100 miles a day... Which means I average pretty low speeds but find I can go longer without injurie or too much fatigue... Another option is to head on north up to marseille along coast once I reach the med ....
Cheers :0)

tourdescotland 29 Jan 16:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I'll have a wee look at the 2009 tour section, cheers. There seems to be an abundance of folk in the net who will plan your route for you for a fee, but where's the adventure in knowing your actual route daily milage, somedays are faster slower stronger winds etc... So as long as I can get to the med with 5 days left I'm sure I can get back across in 5 days :0)

tourdescotland 29 Jan 17:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the tips folks, give me something to look up this week, anyone wanna join me feel free... As long as you like Jaffa cakes... Can you get them in France!!!! :0)

skiad1 30 Jan 17:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Dunno bout the jaffa cakes but proper french pain o chocolat of a morning/afternoon/evening/supper does it for me! I'll have been & gone when you're on tour(le tour in pyrenees then tour back for olympic road race) but the cols will still be there :) Shame you're heading(possibly) as far east as Marseille & not doing Mont Ventoux(MUCH more entertaining than hautacam, esp. the 3 ascents ride) as it's an easy day's ride from Marseille...

Quelle aventures! :)

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.