We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

cycle helmets

dawes-rider 23 Jul 15:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Just wondering how many of us still go out without wearing a helmet.
Mate of mine dad 75 who has been cycling for 60 odd years was given a helmet for Christmas last year & has taken to wearing it.
on a tour with him from Aberdeen to Leicestershire RT1 he hit a pothole and came off grazing his back, but his helmet took the full force distergrating stopping at the back of his head, luckly it was only a trip to Bridge st bike shop in Berwick & not to the local A&E!
beware wear a helmet

My Latest Route: May 2013 Newark Route 64
herbie 24 Jul 04:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Until this year I never wore a Helmet - I mainly cycle canals and easy off road cycle routes with the occasional road route thrown in.

Just over one month ago I had just got off a Canal and was cutting across to pick up a Greenway Route via a couple of quiet 'B' roads.

One motorist decided to clip me as they drove past causing me to lose control hit the kerb and ,what best can be described as a launch into space.

Over the handle bars head first at speed with the ground looming thinking this is going to hurt the decision was made to tuck the head in to avoid the face plant.

To cut the story short . head split / rib cracked & knee torn . Head was glued back together - knee stitched - Ribs a month on now easing off .

Without the helmet - who knows if i would be writing this ?????

Thank you Giro.

no thanks to the motorist - Didn't even stop to !!!!

My Latest Route: Sep 2012 Birmingham to Worcestor Via Canal

txbnet 24 Jul 04:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Agreed! It csn be a little hot this weather, but I never go anywhere without mine. While I've not taken a tumble, you only have to be doing 15mph and a trip over the handlebars without a helmet could be life changing. The more expensive ones are very light and quite airy. So get one and wear it!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

STID 24 Jul 05:52  

Bike:

My Profile
I have been a motorcyclist for more than 35 years so when it came to helmets I had no choice. Mind you I was more than happy to wear one considering how much worse off I would be compared to a car, van, lorry of bus should I hit one or one hit me.

So when it came to cycling which I have been doing for about 15 years, I naturally gravitated towards wearing a helmet out of habit and a sense of safty.

Interestingly, I did hear recently that when a car driver see's a cyclist wearing all the safty things, he feels that hitting him means he will be more protected than if he were to hit someone not wearing a helmet or reflective gear, who he tends to give a wider berth.

Go figure.

Pleased to hear that those who wore lived to wear another day.

Good advise to all, wear a helemt.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

annieslandmissile 24 Jul 09:27  

Bike:

My Profile
I always wear a helmet! have always done and always will!

Forutnately (touchwood) i ve not often come off my bike, but very occasionally have and both times have been due to pot holes or badly cracked city roads. Sometimes pot holes are hidden with very small puddles of water and you think your just cycling through the water and as you still think the road is flat/level.

dudley 25 Jul 05:51  

Bike:

My Profile
i'll never forget as a schoolboy seeing the aftermath of a Mini / motorcycle accident.
The Mini's front wheel was sitting on top of the motorcyclists head (in a helmet.)
The guy was fine, talking away, whilst passers-by lifted the car so that he could be extracted.
HE stood up and walked to the kerb.
No helmet - brain soup.

I'm not sure your average cycling helmet will stand up to the same abuse, but it doesn't take much to make a dent in most skulls.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

BusterG 25 Jul 10:49  

Bike:

My Profile
I have just seen the James Cracknell ad for helmets on youtube. It make syou think. Friend of the family had anaccident whilst out with his young kids in a forest and spent 2 weeks in hospital. the kids 11 and 8 had to go for help coz dad was in a ditch after hitting a tree without a helmet.
i dont let my kids forget that.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

sdwalker 25 Jul 11:03  

Bike:

My Profile
not so long ago I was riding home from work without a helmet and a plastic bag on the hadle bars it got all caught up a did my superman impression and shattered my chin broke my jaw and gravel rashed my face the doctors said I was lucky to come out of it so lightly and now I ALWAYS wear my helmet. Cant stress enought the dangers of riding on roads or off.

be safe people

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

annieslandmissile 25 Jul 16:44  

Bike:

My Profile
oooh i watched the James Cracknell helmet ad very nasty!!

Also yeah i once had was carrying shoping back home and the poly bag over my handle bars must have been too close to the wheel and got caught up in the spokes of the wheel at a little bit of speed, then jammed up and fell off!! so yeah i only use a rucksack now and i make sure there a no long tailing straps from the rucksack hanging down!!

Safety for sure!

dudley 26 Jul 03:14  

Bike:

My Profile
lots of "i had a near miss, and now i wear my helmet"

encourage the kids to avoid the near miss, and start wearing a helmet from day 1.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Pesmo 30 Jul 17:11  

Bike:

My Profile
I am partially sighted through having a cycling accident when not wearing a helmet. When a teenager my gears slipped going uphill and I came a cropper and hit my head on the road, and detached and tore my retina in my left eye, which sadly was not repairable by the eye hospital. Back then you couldn't buy helmets easily. Now I always wear one as I cannot afford to lose my other eye.

Stargazer 02 Aug 18:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Nope, just a "safety bandana" for me.

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Chester Circular Via Kelsal Hill

jsmorrison55 04 Aug 02:16  

Bike:

i actually had a helmet before it was a Fox Flux, a good one and it fitted me nicely. unfortunately it was stolen from me, and i know it sucks. now, i am riding without one, and i hope nothing bad happens until i can buy new ones again. darn i sold my slightly used spare tires for that helmet!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.