We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

cars sounding horns as they pass cyclists

1 2 >
paul448 25 Jan 14:21  

Bike:

My Profile
Has anyone else experienced this much? It seems to be getting worse, oldtimers do it to warn that they are there and might kill us as they pass and young uns do it because they think it is funny to frighten the living daylights out of someone having a pleasant ride!
I think it is an offence to use the horn in this way.
I would like to know if others have had this happen to them much and how they deal with it.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Sedgley to Newport Loop
philtabest 25 Jan 20:25  

Bike:

Hello,

I think it depends mainly on where you are to whether you get that response, I live in Nottingham and yeah you do get idiots thinking its funny to sound their horns ass they pass you. But anywhere else that I go I don't seem to get the same thing or at least I don't notice it as much.

skudupnorth 01 Feb 17:44  

Bike:

My Profile
I get it on my commute to and from work from various levels of idiot behind the wheel.....more so since i decided to use my new lights to there full potential (Niterider X2 Duel) expensive but so bright they cannot say they did not see you !

nnejy 13 Apr 16:48  

Bike:

I had an idiot throw a bottle at me yesterday: he seemed to think it was really funny...

happy 13 Apr 17:23  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Nothing worse eh, altho, still to this day, my major annoyance with car users is their inability to be patient, and to leave plenty room when passing. The road is for both cyclists and cars but they seem to think the opposite!!

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

beninem 14 Apr 04:33  

Bike:

My Profile
It's happened to me a few times in the past, what sort of kick can they possibly expect to get out of it? I take long rides along the coast in the summer & when it's a nice day you get all the boy racers speed past you, overtaking in the wrong lane throwing abuse at me because I happen to ride a bike & be "on there road!" funny, I never knew these morons owned public property.

mattk 14 Apr 04:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I guess they're looking for something to do and we just happen to be in their line of fire... unfortunately there's not a great deal we can do. I worked in Germany for a couple of years where cyclists had more rights than motorists! It may have been a little extreme there but they should show us some respect for avoiding traffic build up and for that matter getting some exercise.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

QPRush 26 Apr 12:24  

Bike:

My Profile
I had a lad reach out of the car window and as they went pass me he slap my arse. It nearly knock me off.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Eastbourne to Weston Super Mare Via New Foerest Part A

mattk 27 Apr 04:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Brain-dead...?! I can see the comedy factor in a slap on the back-side but come on who in their right mind wouldn't think of the consequences ... They were in a car which has much more power and stability than a cyclist.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

merveilleusmark 28 Apr 04:47  

Bike:

My Profile
The worst thing about being on a bike on the road is the apprehension of some drivers to actually get on with it and over take you! Nothing more off putting than when you are going up a hill or whatever and you have a car just sitting on your back wheel! It is nice that they are aware of you but I'd find it preferable to be honked at, even though I think that is very wrong and extremely dangerous and probably illegal! Otherwise, round here the major problem is cars cutting you up!

My Latest Route: May 2009 Hailsham to Seaford via Ditchling Beacon

AndyK 29 Apr 11:12  

Bike:

My Profile
While we're on the subject of things that can shock the sh*£ out of you while you're riding how about very fast groups of motorbikers flying past on otherwise tranquil country roads? AAaagh!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Morningside Loop Via Innerleithen and Peebles

Wait4meJoanne 11 May 11:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Had an idiot leaning out of the passenger seat of a boy racer creation yesterday, shouted abuse as loud as he could and tried to slap me as he passed. I caught them up at the next set of traffic lights and the tinted windows soon went up as he slid down the seat as far as he could :-)
I banged on the windows a few times and asked him to step out the car (and told him what i would do if he would), he looked like he was ready to start crying for his mommy and his mate who was driving stayed very quiet. I am just sick of people treating cyclists in this way

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Sedgley to Wallheath

skudupnorth 20 May 11:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I had a cracker of a pratt yesterday,he he would be very clever and clip me with his mirror on purpose !!!! Not only did he risk my saftey but it made me wonder what he was thinking by doing such a dangerous act and what if it had been a child or a less experienced rider.I had the last laugh though when i caught him up in the traffic jam,told what i thought of his driving and then smacked his mirror very hard against the side glass of his nice new Ford,just gutted i had not smashed the unit or get his number and report him to the Police...as if they would do anything !

skudupnorth 20 May 11:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I had a cracker of a pratt yesterday,he he would be very clever and clip me with his mirror on purpose !!!! Not only did he risk my saftey but it made me wonder what he was thinking by doing such a dangerous act and what if it had been a child or a less experienced rider.I had the last laugh though when i caught him up in the traffic jam,told what i thought of his driving and then smacked his mirror very hard against the side glass of his nice new Ford,just gutted i had not smashed the unit or get his number and report him to the Police...as if they would do anything !

roseycheeks 25 May 05:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Iam absolutely horiffied by the aggresive driving tales of drivers. As I'm new to cycling I can only pray that I dont come upon these idiots. I have to say though, that I am now more aware of the effects of cars and lorries and the wind they cause as they speed by so I now give cyclists a wider berth and lots of time. I had a pick-up cut me off on the cycle path yesteerday on my way through the town. The driver appologised and rolled down his window and said "I'm so sorry but I didn't think you would be turning this way coz nobody goes this road do they?" Excellent... I've never met a clairvoyant before.

bazuti 01 Oct 08:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I think there is a case for sounding a horn, to make someone else aware of their presense but more often it is an example of some peanut brain trying to get a reaction.

It doesn't anger me, it makes me jump, as does shouting out of the windows which is definately unfair.

Unfortunately it tends to be White vans,sales reps and subarhu's.
You have little chance of any support, police etc. and if you do meet up with them at a later point, you are disadvantaged.(Who looks after your bike while you throttle them?)

Parked drivers doors opening just as you draw level is probably a bigger hazard potential, I do not think that generally older people are to blame; they have usaully been brought up with better values.
Unfortunately fear is the one main reason why people refrain from cycling, for the end result is almost always worse for anyone on two wheels.

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Birmingham to Stafford Canal Loop

jimwoo25 02 Oct 09:10  

Bike:

My Profile

From reading all of these posts, i have dealt with similar things. I've had bottles thrown at me, people mouthing off and many instances where people fly past really close. Another one that has happened twice now is some people who slow down to tell you your back tyre has gone down and when you slow up to look, they drive off laughing!

I've stopped short of any vandalism to their car if you catch up with them as you will only end up getting a visit from the plod. It is hilarious though when you catch up with them and give them a tap on the window and they soon shrink back into their shells. Tried to blast one with my water bottle the other day and the window soon went back up.

Without taking the law into your own hands, just try and catch the reg number and report it because i'm sure they will get cautioned with our brilliant legal system! Hopefully if you do, they may have been reported before, but i suppose we can all keep hoping!

Maybe we should dtart carrying spike strips with us, any entrepaneurs out there how can come up with a cycle frame carrier for a rumble strip, feel free to get in the den!

Make sure you stand your ground though, the road is there for everyone.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!

Demon 04 Oct 09:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Over the years I've had numerous such run ins with stupid motorists, fortunately I still believe they are in the minority.

I had one observant driver a while ago scream at me that I "had a screw loose" and he made the circular gesture with the fingure against the temple when I slowed to allow another driver to pull out in heavy traffic. When I caught him up at the traffic lights I tapped on his window and he opened it a crack. I think he was very surprised when I said "yes sir, I agree with you, I have got a screw loose. I must have a screw loose to be riding a bike on the road when there are fat morons like you driving about in cars!!" Quite a restrained response for me.

The other when riding home from work, going uphill and getting repeatedly cut up by idiots in cars. My wierd mind made me liken riding a bike in traffic as being a bit like a bullfighter. You get up real close to a beast that could kill you, with only a thin bit of cloth for protection!

See That bloke was right about the screw!!!

My Latest Route: May 2010 Circular round Isle Of Anglesey

Magnitude 11 May 18:51  

Bike:

My Profile
The police won't do anything, it's all our fault for being a cyclist. I had some boy racer overtake me on the wrong side of the road as I was coming to a T-Junction to turn right, he then cut straight infront of me and went left. Luckily I didn't some off but suffered what you could call a stinger where your spinal cord pinches, lost feeling in my limbs for a couple of seconds and was then greeted with a lot of pain. Got his license plate and reported it but they didn't care, they said that I couldn't prove he was driving, the fact that it was 6:45 in the morning on a work day and thus noone else would be driving meant nothing.

Other than that I've had the usual moron overtake you but only miss you by about an inch and also had some people try and force me into the back of parked cars because they had to get past me so they can get into the traffic jam at the bottom of the road 10 seconds quicker.

My Latest Route: May 2010 West Bromwich to Walsall and Wolverhampton Canal Loop

dudley 12 May 05:15  

Bike:

My Profile
occasionally the police DO care.

commuting into work last year, I was overtaken in a 40, as usual, by a number of cars that think 3 to 4 inches is more than enough room between car and kerb for a cyclist.

One goon went by at high revs, and clipped my elbow with a wing mirror. A light clip, and i did no more than a wee wobble, but a touch none the less. A 'brown trouser' event was only narrowly avoided.

Also, as usual, he pulled up at the lights a mere 35 yards further on!

He was followed by two gentlemen of the Constabulary who witnessed it and asked me to stop as i passed them, and they stopped for a chat with the motorist. Boy racer car, kenwood stickers, exhaust to kick a football up, rims more expensive than the car etc. Surprised to see a chap in his late 40's get out. Clearly 17 at heart!

3 points, an apology, and a stern lesson on the highway code, and the rights of the cyclist.

turned out plod was a bit of a weekend warrior road racer.
They're not all bad!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Demon 12 May 05:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Motorists passing too close can be scarry, but sometimes motorists giving too much room can be more scarry.

Me and my pal were riding along a road with a double white line down the middle and we were going around a fairly tight left hand bend when a motorist decided to be kind and cross the double white line when passing us. We were almost wiped out by the oncoming car that swerved into our lane to miss him!!

Definately brown trousers!!

My Latest Route: May 2010 Circular round Isle Of Anglesey

bazuti 12 May 14:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Perversely not having written anything for ages I have just encountered my worst case of "road rage", riding down a fairly busy road on Saturday morning, I needed to turn right; parked cars all down the left hand side of the road, I kept looking behind and indicating to turn right hoping someone would let me across; eventually a gap and I moved across to the middle of the road. Two seconds later some loon almost knocked me off shouting and screaming and swearing, threatening to kill me etc.When this had finished, he had another relapse and started challenging me to a fight, all of this in front of his small children. I thought I had escaped this low life when someone who had been watching called him a name, this encouraged him to start all over again unfortunately on me. I almost finished up apologising to this scumbag as a means of survival.Where are we going in this country? No one tried to help and I fully understand their fear.Anyway no real harm done, only the thought for a couple of days that I should start carrying a hammer,CS gas or whatever is "de rigeur" for these career criminals, commonsense and the thought that the next hothead would delight in using it on me.I will try an stick to towpaths in future - Ho Hum!

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Birmingham to Stafford Canal Loop

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.