We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Sticky thread Who's Got What Bike? - Page 2

1 2 3 > >>
mattk 08 Apr 04:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I thought it may be a good idea to see which bike set-ups members have...

I have an '08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc - I added CB Eggbeaters (SL's) and a few scratches due to taking a crash course in how to fly a bike! :-)

Other than that it's standard at the moment...

I'm really impessed with the bike tho - very light compared to bikes I'm used to, I've never had hydraulic disc brakes before either - take a bit of getting used to... over the bars a few times at first.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN
mattk 21 Apr 08:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Lol, I'm finding my SPD pedals quite hard to get used to... great looking pedals but every time I think I've mastered them I fall off again! Luckily it's when I've stopped or near enough stopped so not travelling at speed. I think I'm panicking when my foot hasn't got freedom instead of taking my foot out in advance.

nicky_7751 21 Apr 09:46  

Bike:

Seems to be a mental block with me....fallen off a couple of times, always when stopped having unclipped 1 foot then gone to put the other down and once you start you just topple over!!!! Only bruised ego luckily but do feel a right plonker lol

mattk 21 Apr 09:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah sounds familiar! The first fall was when I went to rest my left foot on a wall and didn't release my right foot - lost my balance and couldn't release in time... must have looked a right lemon!

ShrewsAde 23 Apr 07:29  

Bike:

Gary Fisher - Kaitai Hybrid - picking it up in an hour!

BOOMER 23 Apr 07:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Im relatively new to the whole cycling experience, just getting into over the last few years.

Did originally start on a muddy fox glide road bike i upgraded to tiagra compact chainset / gears.

Just bought a Trek 1.2 road bike which i love. This is a triple chainset which i love. Brilliant for the hills around the ribble valley (which i was struggling on with my muddy fox)

Its an intro level bike in the Trek range but in a year or two i expect to invest in a more expensive model.

Its all Good :-)

My Latest Route: Aug 2008 Rishton to Billington

stuartkendall 23 Apr 16:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Gary fisher hifi here 27Lbs of responsive XC fun. Alright so i snapped a chainstay at xmas :) Also have a Kona Blast hardtail for either the road or messing about in the woods.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 St Mellons to Coed Coesau and Draethen Loop

merveilleusmark 28 Apr 04:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Not many road-riders on this site then. I prefer the road bikes...I think it might be the lycra! I have a Cannondale CAAD5 at the moment. I do have a Cannondale Road Warrior Hybrib which I use for commutes and shopping and I have a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper which is just for fun - new wheels and rear mech fitted recently otherwise it has lasted well for what I have put it through!

My Latest Route: May 2009 Hailsham to Seaford via Ditchling Beacon

mattk 28 Apr 04:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Mark,
Good to hear your Rockhopper's survived a pasting! It seems there are a few Rockhopper owners on here so I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that too!

I tend to cover my lycra with normal overshorts to save the embarrassment - but I guess some just love the stuff!

Cycling Dude 29 Apr 16:07  

Bike:

My Profile
I have teo bikes both Trax,
Trax Xcellerate and fearless.
Both good bikes, I do alot of cycling, I have my own group and I cycle everyday! They never go wrong!

Disc brakes don't build up as much resistance as V brakes, thats why you get a stronger pull!

Also, it's hard to get them dirty, my advice to you is to keep sticking at it and you will get used to them!
Good luck

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

avcon 02 May 13:26  

Bike:

I have 2 bikes. The classic roadie and the stunning trackie:

ROAD - Eddie McGrath Everest - Shimano components, Eddie McGrath stem/handlebars, Bontrager Seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, Shimano spds, Mavic wheelset, Conti GP 4 Season tyres

TRACK - Surosa Pista. Mieche components, Cinelli stem/handlebars, Alpina forks & seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, Look Keo Sprint pedals, Surosa handbuilt wheels, Vredestein tyres

Dawesrider 17 May 16:51  

Bike:

I have two bikes, bike one is a 1952 Hetchins Magnum Bonum, mostly original.
Bike two is a Dawes Super Galaxy, it has front and rear racks and is set up for touring.

zimmy 31 May 03:47  

Bike:

My Profile
A humble Trek hybrid

STID 01 Jun 19:18  

Bike:

My Profile
September of 2008 I bought a Giant SCR1, ally frame, carbon forks and 105 shimano. A dream to ride compared to my last bike, and could not be happier.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

TheBurkster 03 Jun 18:23  

Bike:

Hi Matt,

only just discovered this site so thought i'd give it a go.

Currently running an 08 Cannondale F5 in matt black on 26 x 1.5 specialized armadillo's, hardtail with rockshox dart 2 suspension forks with lockout with Deore and Deore LX gearset, I bought it through work on the governments cycle to work scheme. hence the road tyres. The standard fit nobblies however are hanging in the garage awaiting some summer off roading.

Had a good look at loads of bikes nearly went for a road bike then I looked at the Marin urban series, point reyes movarto etc but thought against this aswell all because I wanted the option of being able to go off road/trail etc.

Quite impressed with the F5 though and my most recent route I have taken was a couple of weeks back from widnes through penketh bridgefoot stockton heath hatton daresbury runcorn over the bridge and home

aitch54 07 Jun 11:53  

Bike:

I have a trax xcellerate so far no problems but have changed to semi slick tyres

raywebb 07 Jun 16:29  

Bike:

My Profile
My road bike is a Trek 1.2, which has already been mentioned is a good steady entry road bike, recently did the London to Brighton and it was really nice to ride.

MY MTB is a Trek Fuel ex 8, which is a great bike, I swapped the tryes for Panracer Rampages, which I find excellent, last year did a week in Spain on the Seirra Nevada, on the last day went from the top of Veletta to Grenada (about 40 miles) and nearly all down hill. They stuck like glue on everything from loose gravel, mud to tarmac. On Tuesday (fingers crossed) I'm due to pick up my new MTB..a Trek Remedy 9:-)

zak_neutron 08 Jun 16:59  

Bike:

Just joined!

I recently bought a second hand Bianchi - for the road and having been on a trail bike for approx 1 year. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Bianchi. Its just so light and responsive - and obvious starting to increase my distances now.....

My Trail bike is a heavily moded Marin Trail bike - "Stinson" - about 7 years old - but it does not half take some hammer on some trails and off road areas.

My 2 pennth!

:)

fuxstar 12 Jun 17:38  

Bike:

i have a 24seven frame with marzocchi bombers some cowa wheels and truvativ spline cranks and magura hydraulic rims which i prefer to discs cause they can be too dangerous or i can be too reckless i suppose it depends how you look at it. also discs can pull your spokes out beacause they are set to one side but rims are centralised

merlinpro09 16 Jun 21:52  

Bike:

My Profile
hi everyone thought i would say hello.

just sold my fs raleigh alona decided on a 09 boardman pro ht 24Ibs
changed the grips for yeti lock ons and a charge spoon seat in white
the boardman seat is a little hard for my liking.
i know what you mean about hydraulic brakes matt took a couple of days for me to get use to them.
nice to see there's a few offroad folk in here.

My Latest Route: Dec 2009 Nuneaton to Bosworth Canal Route

amelia77 19 Jun 18:16  

Bike:

I have a specialized stumpjumper expert m5 in red and white I dreamt about it for years and bought it after my 2 rockhoppers got stolen... I LOVE it, its a really great bike although a year on looking to upgrade...

raywebb 20 Jun 05:53  

Bike:

My Profile
Picked up my Remedy 9..fantastic bike, but I'll not risk SPD's just yet..off to Bedgebury on Thursday to have a jolly good day out...

krazykayaker 25 Jun 13:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Giant Yukon Disc 2009

&

A Giant FCR1 coming tomorrow!!!!!

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

L3EOO 26 Jun 09:39  

Bike:

I have just got a Trek 1.9 (through cycle to work) after a week I got up the courage of fitting my SPD pedals. Apart from that standard after I removed all the cycle shop stickers and warning labels :)

Also have a Genesis Day 01 (2008) which Im probably gonna sell

dave1979 29 Jun 06:08  

Bike:

hi just joined currently riding a giant xtc carbon 07 with shimano spds, carbon bars lock-ons and canecreek bar ends

also have a Gary fisher joshua xo 99' that isn't very standard, had it since new

and a fondriest mega road bike

I used a set of eggbeaters for about 5 years and they are still brilliant just need new cleats having worn them out.

shnuggs 16 Jul 16:45  

Bike:

My Profile
My wife and I have just took up cycling and have both bought new road bikes. I ride a Giant scr1, she went for a Trek 1.5

We both love our bikes and have just fitted SPD pedals today so we'll see how they go, brave move really as I had my first 'off' 2 days ago and left quite alot of skin on the tarmac but not to be put off we're both off to the Lake District this weekend to tackle some real hills!!

My Latest Route: Sep 2009 Durham Circular via Iveston and Thornley

norrymerrida 17 Jul 05:01  

Bike:

got a merrida matts 50 08 just put it through its first test, the west highland way and was very happy with performance. was going to upgrade the forks from the sr suntour xcm v2 andwas supprised how well they coped.

Fixie Anarchist 21 Jul 03:26  

Bike:

Hi y'all,
At the moment I have two bikes on the go.
1. MTB built by me fron three scrap bikes, (as the hybrid I was riding was stolen by bike thieving miscreants). She's a combo of an old Peugeot, an even older Falcon ha ha ha and wheels and componants from some low spec full susser.

2. my beloved 'Fixie' project, work in progress.. 1970's Townshend racer / touring bike, (very old cotter pin cranks and horizontal dropouts). So far I have converted her to fixed gear ( Surley single sprocket ) and stripped out all uneccessary componants, brakes sprockets deraileur etc. )

davetheconvert 21 Jul 06:33  

Bike:

My Profile
I have four bikes all in varying degrees of roadworthiness....

1) A kona cindercone aluminium frame hard tail

2) A Ridgeback voyage- my everyday commuting and touring bike.

3) A cheap road bike hobbled together by me.

4) An italian aluminium frame for another road bike awaiting a compag groupset, some compag wheels and other italian components (maybe cinneli).

I also have a constantly complaining partner who wants 'her' lovely conservatory back. Ha.... No way.... My bikes get loneley outside... and er the weather persishes the tyres... and the cables shouldn't be exposed to too many temperature extremes.. and er.... they might get stolen.. and er... I like to look at them.

My Latest Route: Jul 2009 Abbots Bromley to Blithbury Circular

shnuggs 30 Jul 08:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Giant SCR1 road bike

My Latest Route: Sep 2009 Durham Circular via Iveston and Thornley

sonyfreak 30 Jul 17:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Barracuda Plasma DS MTB

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.