We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Wheels

darking 29 May 15:06  

Bike:

My Profile
There seem to be so many options for wheels on a road bike. which are best, good, or to be avoided?

Russ Boy 29 May 19:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I would avoid bladed 'aero' spokes (aka 'straight pull').They look really good,but typically have a low spoke count,and unless you are quite light (11-12 stone) you run the risk of the spokes breaking,or shearing out of the rim.Also,bladed spokes can cost £2-3 each!
I have had Alex AT450 wheels on my bike for 8000 miles or so,and have never had a problem,however,some people hate them! They have 32 spokes at the back and front (i think) and are a good strong wheel,but still quite light (if you use 'folding' tyres).I will qualify this,by saying i am not that heavy at 12 stone 3 (ish),but have coped with London's roads ok,which i would be surprised, are'nt the worst quality roads in the UK (or the western world for that matter).
Also,you can service these wheels (remove ball bearings,regrease etc) which some people probably wouldn't like,but doesn't bother me.
I think you can get carried with all the bike paraphernalia,and convince yourself that you need the most expensive wheels,bottom bracket,derailleurs,hubs etc,but if you have decent,semi light-weight components,and know how to maintain a bike and adjust things,i don't think it makes that much of a difference.
Hope this helps,
Russ

24Spokes 31 May 10:23  

Bike:

I upgraded my wheels from the Bontrager's that came on my Trek to Rol Volant RTs. Rol is the only wheel maker that I know of that puts a weight limit on his wheels. The Volant RTs use double butted spokes, 24 spokes front, 28 spokes rear are reasonably light at 1650 gm the set and cost $450.00. I have over 6,000 miles on them, weigh 13.6 stone and have never broken a spoke, something I did fairly regularly on the original Bontrager's.

I am very pleased with these wheels and with the company. Sean, the owner, provides very personal service and attention to his customers. A real gem.

The website: http://www.rolwheels.com/rol_volant_rt_wheels.php

Charlie

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.