We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

What Do Bike Hut Do

davey56 20 Jun 11:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi All just got back from my sunday ride about 40 miles and would you credit it with about five miles to home the bolt on the saddle clamp sherd off comes the seat and me with it. oh well not far to go and about a mile on I thought (just know that was a bad idea) I go past a halfords might as well call in after all its only a bolt! do in I went up to the desk and there stood two of them I gave one of them the bits saying have you got any bolts so I can fix this or even a new clamp if it cane to that he looked at me turned to ho mate and said do you know what this is ! (you just know your on to a winner) His mate then says think it's somthing to do with the seat turns to me after moving his mobile for a few second and says d'ont do spares bolts or anything like that can sell you a new post or saddle one of them has a new clamp on it. And to think some people buy bikes or go to get them serviced there!!!

bloomp 21 Jun 09:47  

Bike:

My Profile
People say the same thing about PC World and Maplin and just about any other national store chain where you can get amateurs to experts using the same outlet.
They sell what they sell in the format they sell it but - sometimes you find someone who will go the extra mile and be helpful beyond the call of duty.
If you get the techie who will know here "unpackaged / part used stuff" is, you are lucky - you didn't davey :)

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

dudley 21 Jun 13:21  

Bike:

My Profile
in halfords, the true techie that cares more about his job than the size of his fake chrome exhaust is a rare breed indeed.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

bloomp 22 Jun 04:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I feel quite proud of our Halfords then with its user friendly techie - almost like having a golden eagle nesting on your chimney! Must agree with majority of the hired help tho' - their product awareness and customer care skills are v. poor in general.

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

Leafy 28 Jun 16:23  

Bike:

My Profile
First, let me admit that I know nothing about bikes. I used to go to Halfords but I avoid them at all costs now because they're nothing but a pain.

Once, I cycled from Stoke to Crewe and got a puncture on the way into Crewe so, being a Sunday, I found my nearest Halfords and they were great at sorting me out. However, trying to use them on the spur of the moment ever since is like pulling teeth. One Christmas my parents got a 3-year service plan for me from Halfords which I was quite happy about... However, at this point my bike was living in Stoke-on-Trent and I was living in Newcastle-upon-Tyne so I only rode it every few months when I came to visit. Every time I tried to take it for a service I was told the nearest available slot for it was 5-10 days later, so I just gave up. They once refused to repair my bike because it was a bank holiday and their policy is not to do bike repairs on bank holidays because it's so busy - on one such occasion I was there with my bike, only 1 other customer browsing in Bike Hut, with no less than 3 members of staff sitting on the counter behind the till doing nothing!

What annoys me most about Bike Hut though is that they aren't even a hut and, even more annoying, I have never yet been to a Halfords where the Bike Hut is on the ground floor! Sure I can hike my bike up the stairs or cram it into the lift which is designed for wheelchairs rather than bikes, but I'd really rather not....

Oh and now I live in Nottingham, my bike lives in Nottingham too, and we have tons of independent bike shops who are only too happy to help. :)

(I do realise that the moral of this story should really be: learn to fix your own bike. :p)

My Latest Route: Jun 2010 Wesport Lake to Stone Via Trent & Mersey Canal

mr.mole 28 Jun 17:40  

Bike:

My Profile
I took my bike to my local gooutdoors, they only charged me for what work they did, ended up being alittle over £6. I was amazed. The bloke there actually knew what he was talking about and seems generally intrested and knowlegdable about bikes.

The only reason I go to Halfords/bikehut is for their cleaning gear, as the citrus cleaning spray is amazing at getting my bike clean.

dudley 29 Jun 02:57  

Bike:

My Profile
our local Halfords as a ground floor based Bike Hut, (although it too is not a hut...!)
i think this particular one is not on the first floor as the majority of staff would fail the 'getting upstairs' training.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.