We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Water!

AndyK 03 Jun 10:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello,

Just thought i'd start a thread to see what novel ways people have found to refill thier water bottles on long rides. I have two bottle cages on my bike but still find myself running on empty at the latter stages of a long ride. I have been known to ask kindly pub landlords, fill up from springs and even use water from the air and water machine at a garage (not so tasty that one).

So, any top tips?

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Morningside Loop Via Innerleithen and Peebles
happy 03 Jun 10:14  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hi Andy,

Have you tried using a water hydration pack, like a Camel Back at all?

Alan

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

AndyK 08 Jun 12:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hmm, that could be a good option on the mountain bike but i think it would get in the way of all the other bits and bobs i carry round in the back pocket of my jersy... how much water do they hold?

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Morningside Loop Via Innerleithen and Peebles

STID 09 Jun 03:12  

Bike:

My Profile
I bought a camel back while in the States due to the ridiculously overpriced versions over here and got an absolute bargain.The Alpine Flume holds 2 litres of water, and has loads of zipped pockets to hold all I need for a long cycle.

If you feel that is not enough you can still take a water bottle with you too.

Check the internet, you could still buy one cheaper from the States including shipping. If you know anyone in the States then get them to send you one.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

asleep_by_the_road 29 Jun 12:25  

Bike:

My Profile
In the past when running low, I've popped into shops and bought a small snack, then asked if they would mind refilling my bottle. One one occassion, when I had left without any cash. I went into a shop, complemented them on how lovely their village was, and then asked to have my bottle filled. Bit of sugar never hurts:)

My Latest Route: Jul 2009 Scunthorpe Circular via Alkborough

dudley 30 Jun 09:31  

Bike:

My Profile
most filling stations have an outside tap...

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

cinammongirl 31 Jul 08:03  

Bike:

My Profile
i would also mirror the other comments on using a hydration pack, like cammelpak.
You can always wear them under your backpack, they are not that uncomfortable, plus, you could always freeze them over night, which would not only provide you with extra water, but also regulate your temp during the really hot days of the summer months..

My Latest Route: May 2010 Woolwich Dockyard to Catford Station

Shortbusdriver1969 27 Sep 11:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I take about 3 lts of juice with me one sits on the bike over two on my
dirt monkey belt pack. I use dilute to taste tescos orange and in some case's I use the halfrauds re-hydration powered ( orange flavour )
I would not use water from a pertol station's pipe as for use in a car as the water sits in the pipe for many many days / weeks and is not too healthy for you,
If you do run out of water. why not just make sure you have money to buy some form of juice or powerade drinks ?

Demon 27 Sep 13:23  

Bike:

My Profile
If I've been out without any money, I've stopped at farm houses or country cottages and asked the occupants if they wouldn't mind filling my bottles with water for me. Most seem happy to help and I've never been refused.

I would be hesitant to use springs or garage forecourts though.

My Latest Route: May 2010 Circular round Isle Of Anglesey

tonythegreek 28 Sep 16:14  

Bike:

My Profile
hi on warm days i find that a two litre bottle fits just nice into both my bottle cages mind you for those weight concious cyclists it might be heavy
not sure about springs and forecourts you might end up doing another type of spriny OOOHHHH NOOOO!!!

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.