We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Tyre pressure's and valves

MentalPedalPusher 16 Oct 06:52  

Bike:

Hi all please help got mountain bike with schrader valves, when im on road like them up to 60psi, but finding that after leaving bike standing for few hours they drop(no not a puncture!!!) even bought new innertubes and still the same, guys in halfords say should be ok at the pressure but still "leak" should i just forget schrader and go for presta valves as belive can have more psi in, and will presta sit in rim ok??? please help sick of pumping up tyre's

mattk 16 Oct 08:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Schrader valves shouldn't be leaking air under high pressure... they're used on all car tyres too. Have you been using valve caps though? If you don't, the rubber seal can get contaminated with dirt and water and will eventually break up - it shouldn't happen on a new tube though....hmm.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

MentalPedalPusher 16 Oct 08:52  

Bike:

i must just be lucky but its driving me mad???? 60 psi should still be ok do you think

mattk 16 Oct 09:23  

Bike:

My Profile
I don't really know 100% because 45psi is quite high pressure on a car, I don't really pump a tyre on my bike to any particular pressure (just use hand pump). Have you tested them at a lower pressure to see what they ride like? 60psi sounds quite high. Maybe send an email to the tyre manufacturer and ask them what the max pressure is...

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

MentalPedalPusher 16 Oct 09:40  

Bike:

the tyres are happy about the 40psi mark but just find that little bit more makes the ride so much more smoother and less tyre making contact the better, anyone know if presta holds more?? anyone know of good tyres fit for both road and off road, liked the dmr motos but found them heavy, also used the continental double fighter but ate though them so quick at the pressure and riding 150 miles a week plus kills them,

sonyfreak 20 Oct 19:23  

Bike:

My Profile
you shouldn't need to change valves, but I agree 60 psi is a little high. Check the pressure rating on the sidewall of the tyres and inflate (or should that be deflate) your tyres to that pressure. Do the tyres reach a certain pressure, or do they continue to leak until there is very little air in them? Strange whatever!!

globalfish 27 Nov 20:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Try tweaking the valve core a little tighter- or a drop of water over it to see if valve leaks. Neither Schrader, Presta or Woods should leak esp. in a few hours.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.