We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

To bell or not to bell?

iginger 26 Jan 05:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Does this "ring any bells" with anyone? I cycle to work daily through London, I'm lit up like a Christmas tree, with a light on my crash hat, two flashing cateye lights on my handle bars, as well as one large headlight on my handlebars too, plus two large flashing red lights on my seat post, I have a long high vis jacket as well as reflectors on my legs, wheels and frame... and people still walk out in front of me as if I'm not even there!

I use a bell at the moment, but I may as well not bother, i have seen (and heard) the really loud air horns that you can get, and I'm thinking of getting one. So apart from getting an electric cattle prod, how else can i get pedestrians to notice me??

Any suggestions?

Ginger

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 Bristol to Reading Off Road
dudley 26 Jan 08:55  

Bike:

My Profile
saw a guy with the air horn last week.

He rang the bell coming up to a pedestrian crossing
-ignored

he rang again
-ignored

blast of the airhorn
- they ran like f*ck!

very effective

saw another cyclist last night with very obvious bright leggings.
Couldn't see what make (too dazzly!), but black with white reflective stripes all over - looked like a zebra, and very dazzling in the headlights.

probably illegal, but a blue flasher would get you noticed!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

iginger 26 Jan 09:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for this, maybe then the route to take should be clothing... maybe dressing like a Zebra is the way forward... no cycling past London Zoo though ;•)

I'll have a scour on tinternet and see what reflective gear is around, might check out ebay for an air horn as well, they're not cheep!

cheers

Ginger

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 Bristol to Reading Off Road

Shortbusdriver1969 08 Feb 15:00  

Bike:

My Profile
there are electric horns that are vey effective,only problem with the airhorn ( aka Air zound). they dont last long before you have to pump it up again,
take a look here for some nice electric sounders http://stores.biketac.com/StoreFront.bok
ttfn
neil

soren 08 Feb 16:46  

Bike:

My Profile

Instead of dressing like a Zebra, try a Tiger, that should make them shift.

davey56 25 Apr 06:52  

Bike:

My Profile
The only time they see you is when they pick themselves up

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.