We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Sticky thread The best place you have riden!!

1 2 3 > >>
spudvanfox 18 Jun 18:28  

Bike:

Hi there every body ,

I've only just joined but been riding off road for a while. I live in Manchester and mostly travel to places to ride the best trail center close to me has to be Llandgela (north Wales) the best trail centre I have been is Glentress (Scottish borders). It was amazing just wondered if any one else has has any good places to visit?

Thanks people Steve

stevedanter 23 Jun 07:39  

Bike:

My Profile
It has to be the Afan Valley in South Wales, although there has been a lot of forestry work going on for a couple of years now closing various sections at different times the whole area is riddled with trails so finding a great trail shouldn't be too difficult. The Wall, Skyline, W2 and Whites Level signed routes were all still open last time I was there, absolutely fantastic day out.

My Latest Route: Jul 2009 Brecon The Gap Circular

albion 23 Jun 07:55  

Bike:

My Profile
To meit's the getting there that matters.

I enjoyed getting to both Røros and Skaw and certainly enjoy the route to Derwent Reservoir back here in England.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

dudley 23 Jun 10:52  

Bike:

My Profile
although i'm mainly a road cyclist, i do like going off-road too.

That said, i really cannot stand these organised 'centres' for offroad cycling.
Dreadful places.

I prefer the solitude of the open road, and the stunning scenery and views that a bit of sweat and toil can take you to.
Nothing surpasses the thousands of miles available to ride on the west coast of Scotland, the inner and outer Hebrides, ferries, distilleries, beaches and distinct lack of people.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

spudvanfox 23 Jun 12:15  

Bike:

yer i spent a week or so in tenby drove round to port talbert and road whites level luv the last desent with the wood sections need to take another trip there!!

kiwipaddy 20 Aug 16:48  

Bike:

Central Otago Rail Trail, South Island, New Zealand. About 150 km through the very unique landscape of Central Otago, check it out on line, no cars, easy gradient (thanks to steam train days) do it in 2 days or in ten, plenty of cool little places to get a decent coffee, a beer/wine or a bed...Have done it a couple of times, one each direction. use it as a springboard into the rest of the South Island...

Cheers

Patrick

splashiusmaximus 03 Sep 13:45  

Bike:

I particularly enjoyed the towpath on the Kennet & Avon Canal from Devizes to Bath. The path along that stretch of canal is pretty good (you don't need a mountain bike) and the canal crosses over the River Avon in two places by aqueduct, which is fascinating. It is a very scenic (and quite popular) route.

happy 03 Sep 13:47  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
West Coast of Scotland for me. Great weather, great scenery and great youth hostels!

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

dudley 05 Sep 08:10  

Bike:

My Profile
favourite ride of the year was short and easy, but it was my 6 year old daughter's longest ride ever, which made it special.

On a 'single speed' (read cheap cr@p kids bike) we cycled the 6 miles across Hoy in Orkney to Rackwick Bay and back again.
The first three miles were up hill, which caused a few tears, but the promise of 3 miles downhill made it easier. Unfortunately, the 'fresh' breeze meant a stiff pedal downhill on the other side!
The six miles back to the ferry were much easier, up and down hills!

the cliffs and beach at Rackwick is very special indeed.

I'd recommend a whizz round all parts of Orkney on the bike. We did a few bits of the mainland, Westray and Papa Westray too.

JJD 07 Sep 10:09  

Bike:

My Profile
+1 for Glentress, really good fun.

My Latest Route: Sep 2011 Brookfield to Glasgow City Centre

rustyspoke 10 Sep 06:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Well so many but Dorset along the coast roads some fantastic views and some real testing climbs,
But the best ride has to be riding into Paris a few years ago when we rode from Blackpool Tower to The Eifel Tower.
Before anyone chips in with the jokes yes we did use a ferry to get across so we did not get wet feet.

winnersh cyclist 21 Sep 12:01  

Bike:

My Profile
France the roads are superb and even though I heard the French are agressive towards bikes nothing of the sort I havbe only had courtesy

paul&deb 23 Sep 13:49  

Bike:

My Profile
North part of Mallorca around Porto Polecia, sun, great roads, chilled drivers and planth of hills, heaven!!!!

Paul

annieslandmissile 23 Sep 16:42  

Bike:

My Profile
I ve hear Glentress is excellent! but yeah the West Coast of Scotland is good, especially the Islands like Arran, Islay, Barra, North Uiist South Uist, Harris Lewiis & Skye!

dudley 26 Sep 08:09  

Bike:

My Profile
off soon for our annual 'round Arran' trip.

This 60 mile day involves a compulsory stop at all licensed premises. A great day out!

nzjambo 28 Oct 09:04  

Bike:

Ive done the Lake Tuapo Cycle Challange with 10,000 other riders which was pretty awesome. Also done Glasgow to Pitlochry which is a very enjoyable ride.

mstar12 02 Nov 13:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Edinburgh down the east coast to Tynemouth on route 1. Anywere in France, get off the main roads and its like 28 days later. Every village has a bakers and cafe. Be aware that France is closed on Sundays and Mondays and between 12.00 and 14.00 everyday.
Mick

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Coast 2 Coast Workington to South Shields

sean8997 02 Nov 15:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Best ride I've done for a while was last week, drove down to Bala, N.Wales, headed out to Lake Vernwy and back the Bala, some fantastic scenary, tough climbs and cracking downhills, adding the route to the site for all to have a go at(Bala lake vernwy loop, 34 miles, took me just over 3 hours, thouroughly recomend it to all.

Happy cycling

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

woodowl 15 Nov 19:54  

Bike:

My Profile
As a newby to cycling,any ride is a great ride.
I love the Wigan to Southport ride though,did it 4 times last year,23 miles direct to Southport but i came back through croston which adds on a good few miles (The Wheatsheaf pub in croston makes up for it.lol)
I clocked the ride at 59 miles,cant wait till the spring to give the new bike a good outing (i ride mtb"s by the way) great way to lose weight especially with offroad tyres (theres method in my madness).

robbierunciman 16 Nov 10:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Abroad, France in general but specifically, the coast road from Narbonne-Plage to Cerbere. In the UK, cannot beat east Leicestershire and Rutland - Market Harborough to Stamford via Uppingham, along the north edge of the Welland valley

My Latest Route: Jan 2013 Foxton Locks From Corby

hookhai 17 Nov 07:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Two routes in Germany to recommend

Full stretch of the River Ruhr over a weekend and along the Rhine particulary from Mainz to Cologne

www.ruhrtalradweg.de
www.rhein-radweg.com/rhine-cycle-route.html

timolloyd 28 Dec 08:10  

Bike:

If I lived in or near to Manchester I'd be riding in the Yorkshire dales as often as I could. There is a fantastic (mainly off-road) route that runs from Grassington in Swaledale along the valley and ends up in Hawes. There is a tricky river crossing, some open trails and, from memory, some single track too. The views are fantastic and its not particularly busy either.

RobMcV 13 Jan 15:23  

Bike:

Hi

I live in Edinburgh but last summer I drove to Fortwilliam one Friday after work, camped out at the Glen Nevis campsite( £10 ish) and next morning set off on my road bike to the Corran Ferry ( approx 10 miles SW), took free 10 minute ferry across to Ard Murchan,( check spelling??) and cycled clockwise via Strontian to Lochoilart and then east via Glenfinnan back to Fortwilliam . Total around 85 mile. Stunning ride and fantastic scenery.

Next one was from Tyndrum, where I camped out on the Friday again, and cycled west to Connell, north to Ballachulish and then over Glencoe and Rannoch Moor and back to Tyndrum.Total 92 miles. Again superb scenery.

Check out both routes on google maps. Both a good days cycling.

Finally, can I recoomend a wee coffee shop I found in Juniper Green, on the Lanark rd out of Edinburgh. Its called "Ruths Kitchen" . Fab coffee and Ruth does all her own baking which is superb. Ideal stop if cycling up from Edinburgh towards Balerno along river. Check maps

Good luck

Robert

jonsea 23 Feb 03:11  

Bike:

My Profile
hello everybody,

This is my first posting on this forum as i have just joined this morning .

I had not done much cycling in my life until about 3 years ago when i decided, with a friend, to do the " chemin de st Jacques de compostelle " from southern France to Compostella in Spain ( some 800 klms ) . If anybody is even thinking of a long distant ride and you have 2 weeks free then this is the one to try . A reasonable and much easier 3 /4 day ride is the canal du midi" from Toulouse to the med ( cap d'agde ).
As i said i am by no means a fit or good cyclist but managed both these routes on a cheapo bike,so if you have the idea lurking in the back of your mind,go do it !!!

bye John

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

Captain13 27 Feb 13:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Some amazing routes posted on here folks great stuff, i live in Stockport (5 miles south of Manchester) and regularly cycle around cheshire, Chelford/Middlewich/Alderly Edge/Macclesfield/Wilmslow etc etc, theres plenty small country roads and some towpaths to keep you off the busy ones and best of all its mainly flat, great for clocking up the miles on the roadbike app i use on my iphone. For a more strenious ride involving hills and peaks id recommend heading to Buxton on the train and start and finish a loop from there, its a beautiful area with great scenery and also you will find a canal cyclepath from Buxton to Marple and down to Bollington nr Macclesfield where you will need to cycle on the road back to Buxton (about 10 miles) some amazing scenery and pubs. All easily reached from Manchester

Dave

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 North Cheshire Loop

sdwalker 28 Feb 14:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Well down here in Kent we have Bedgbury forest right on our door step just a 20 min car ride for me and then it is 10 miles of purpose built burns jumps down and uphill sloggs with some great technical sections and an insane straight downhill over rutted ground they have also just opened their 1st black run and also have a family circular (one for the kids) and lots of other facitlies.

rode it for the 1st time this weekend and although I did not know the routes was amazing fun and i still had the confidence to ride clipless!! I would love to do the landelga in north wales i have seen youtube footage and it looks awsome!!

also for road riding their is a great loop for hever castle from Tunbridge Wells and nice to stop off at a local establishment for lunch before the ride home.

happy trails everyone.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

jeffers9 01 Apr 12:00  

Bike:

Spudvanfox - take yourself around the Derwent valley - up along the A57 snake pass. About 1/2 hour from Manchester.

mcraddy 06 Apr 06:38  

Bike:

My Profile
hi fello mtb riders ...

as a new bod to this site , the best and most wet ride i done was 3 peaks some years ago now .. i just seam to stay local now ... but manage to go to work on bike about 2/3 week and out at weekend if weather fine ...
up for a ride out most weeks if any 1 up for it . email me ..

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 Nostell Priory Figure 8

dickthecoal 09 Apr 19:57  

Bike:

The Neath to Pontypridd Route 47 in S Wales is a cracker. It takes you from almost sea level to over 600 metres through some stunning scenery of the Breacon Beacons and other surrounding mountains and valleys. A belter of a pub to get lunch at Llanwonno. The ride is a good mix of roads and paths with nothing too radical. Check it out on Sustrans.com

NickNut 03 May 09:35  

Bike:

My Profile
If it is MTB you're after and you live in Manchester, try Chinley Churn....though it'll be hellish muddy at the moment...stuff around Hope will be drier.

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.