We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

So, who are the worst offenders? unofficial poll!

dudley 21 Apr 03:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Taxis
Lorries
Buses
Mr commuter
Mrs commuter
White van man

With the state of all the gullies, verges and potholes that infect the world of the commuting cyclist, which of the above are the biggest repeat offenders in making you feel completely unsafe as you pile into work at 7.00am?

my thoughts.

1 - the more expensive, and more 'German' the car, the less room you are going to get, and a wing mirror becomes a lethal weapon (edit: top of 'hit' list are AUDI Q7, BMW X3,X5 and particularly X6)
2 - taxi drivers need to go on a special course to learn about the little stalk thing behind the steering wheel that operates the indicators
3 - buses are, on the whole, very respectful and obliging
4 - white van man is, generally, not as bad as he's made out to be, but he can be in a rush.....
5 - Mrs has a habit of doing make-up in slow traffic
6 - Mr Commuter spends most of his time on the phone
7 - the more bizarre the correlation between exhaust size and car size, the more likely you are to get knocked off (big bucket exhaust on Citroen Saxo etc)
8 - All commuters think that a risky overtaking manoeuvre, seconds before having o come to a halt at lights is sensible

the most dangerous vehicle, therefore, is probably an off-duty taxi driver, driving a BMW

(i nearly got flattened this morning! rear wheel locked up, front wheel clipped by turning taxi, hit the kerb, but stayed on! couldn't repeat it!)

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular
STID 21 Apr 07:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Dudley, one group missing from your list is some cyclists themselves.

When I travel to London by bus I am amazed by just how many are not wearing helmets, bright outwear and who never stop at red light, junctions or even pedestrian crossings. And the amount who do not ride with a rear or front light at night is frightening.

With Oxford being a bike town, the police regularly have a blitz to catch lightless riders. Nearly hit a few myself coming back from London late at night.

All groups need educating

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

dudley 21 Apr 07:47  

Bike:

My Profile
very good point.
our 'bad name' is mostly as a result of the light-hoppers

I find the rash of trendy fixed wheel bikes, made by the big names to cash in on the latest fashion at hugely inflated prices, ridden by tits who worry more about the crotch height of their skinny jeans to be a real problem. no lights, daft plimsolls and no helmet to damage the floppy hair.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Russ Boy 29 May 20:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Hmm,
Don't buy the cycle helmet argument myself.
Regarding 'Light Hoppers',it's actualy safer to anticipate the lights (not necessarily go right through them,although,at 6am,at a minor junction,are you honestly saying you sit there,with no traffic or pedestrians,waiting for the lights to change?).
If you are at a major junction,and a road peels off right and left 50m in front of you,and you want to bear right,waiting for the light to go green,will entail you riding a middle lane,with heavy traffic bearing down on you from behind.far safer to wait until the cross traffic signal goes red,then proceed in the 5-10 seconds before 'your'lights turn green,so you can get across the lanes.
There are loads of cyclists who tecnically 'obey' the rules,but are frankly 'rubbish',and a danger to themselves.Similarly,there are suicidal ones which fall into the same category.Im sitting somewhere in the middle,but obviously not as well behaved as you.

sdwalker 31 May 05:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Lorries are quite considerate in my part of the world (Tonbridge Tunbridge Wells commuter) some stupid VW Mrs Commuter drive pretty much on the curb making it impossible to pass this morning though i generally feel female drivers because of the cautious nature to oncoming traffic tend to make life a lot more difficult for cyclists as a whole.

regarding cycling safety I wouldn’t be seen dead without my lights, high vis and helmet and anyone who doesn't ride with lights at least deserves to be hit by a car you need to help yourself before blaming other road users.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

BusterG 01 Jun 06:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all.
I agree with the German-ness of the car point. Example Porshe boxter last week :-(
I too agree with SDWALKER about safety gear and visibility. i find too many cyclsits wear dark clothing with only little high viz strips - not enough.
I ride mostly on country lanes so encounter many 4x4s but have not found them to be trouble as a group.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.