We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Red Lights

annieslandmissile 10 Aug 15:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Just wondered why some bikers, go through red lights? (in city riding) Not that it really bothers mevbut just that it seems a bit more dangerous!

captgeoff 11 Aug 04:39  

Bike:

My Profile
We see many do it, personally I never do. Have enough problems with motorists without winding them up. They are the type that earn us the name lycra louts. Follow the rules and nobody can justify an anti cyclist attitude.

My Latest Route: Feb 2009 Brabourne to Kingsnorth Circular

longbob 11 Aug 05:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I have done a fair bit of cycling round London and must admit to going through the odd red light when I first started but this is something I don’t do any more.

there are lots of reasons really, some cyclist do it to reduce the stop-starting as they lose momentum and adds time to their journey...others don’t really see lights as something they need to follow, being a cross between a cyclist and a pedestrian they feel they can have the best of both worlds! Others, well others just don’t have a clue!!!!

Your spot on about it being dangerous! and some riders (in London) can get the real arse if you stop...I had a guy behind me have a go for me stopping...he looked at me as if I was mad or something...I wont type what I told him but yeah, its not really the best cause of action to take.

for me the issue is that as cyclist we ask for the same rights as other road users, to be given time and space and to share the road equally...then you get some that just blatantly go though a red light, possibly causing an accident and killing themselves and others...this just antagonises the car drivers and adds to the hostility (still cant believe the things drivers shout out their windows at cyclist!!!).

There are times when it can be dangerous at lights, especially when you know a section of road is covered in potholes and you run the risk of the passing traffic pushing you in to them…that or you are next to a lorry or bus…times like this I will normally pop on to the curb and coast over a crossing.

Not sure what happened to it but old Boris was looking to make it legal for cyclist to be able to turn left at red lights (think its about a 30 quid fine if you get caught)…its argued that this would make cycling safer as so many are crushed by lorries and buses…then there is the counter argument that say most deaths are caused by going straight on at lights so this wouldn’t make any difference!

Its an interesting debate and one that will rage for a while yet…for me I think it’s a case of doing what you feel is the safest course of action…we don’t have a ton of steel to protect and some drivers just don’t take that in to account, they just see a cyclist on their road!

I read somewhere that more women are killed in London by being crushed by lorries (about 80 odd%), then men as they obey the red lights more and tend to be caught in blind spots…really then its more about positioning yourself on the road and if you find yourself next to or near a lorry, get in front of it or behind it…never get along side it.

Sorry for the long winded reply! Long by name long by nature :-)

dudley 11 Aug 07:56  

Bike:

My Profile
i don't. Used to years ago, but not now.

One thing i think they should bring in generally is a 'left on red' rule.
They have a 'right on red' rule in the US, which helps keep things moving.

Often as not it is safe to turn left even with a red, as you are crossing no lanes, and if it is clear, seems like a plan.

The big couriers in the US (UPS, FEDEX etc) plan out ALL their city delivery routes to be right turn ONLY, which has saved them a small fortune on time and vehicles, massively increasing productivity, because this 'turn on red' rule really helps.

It's a good idea....so it wont happen!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.