We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Reclaim the roads!

cyclevegan 22 Jul 16:58  

Bike:

We live in a car obsessed society. Aggressive drivers, always in a rush to get to their destination, forever calling up radio stations complaining about cyclists, mainly taxi drivers.

Let's change that. I always cycle on dual carriageways. I won't be intimidated. I only have a mountain bike, I am just an ordinary guy trying to get about town without the use of LT or an accelerator pedal.

From now on , tell yourself "I will travel on roads I wouldn't previously have cycled on. I will not be intimidated by motorists".

I equate road travel to eating habits, "Until we consciously change the way we behave in our lives we will carry on acting like we only care about ourselves".

Let's beat the cancer of our society.

eltelio 23 Jul 10:52  

Bike:

My Profile
oops replied wrong thread!
I'd just like to refer you to a previous thread "drivers annoying habits" 27 jan 2012. We're all trying to get somewhere!

My Latest Route: May 2012 Wylam and Beyond

alas58 23 Jul 13:20  

Bike:

My Profile
It is how it is in this country, I listen to the bike show podcast and hear how cities like amsterdam and copenhagen have managed to get cyclists and cars to co-habit without any aggro.

we are not alone in not having cycling friendly streets but it is Goverment and local councils who must make the changes, and all road users must press by vote, organised events to demand change.

I cycle and drive so i want changes that will make us all safer.

cyclevegan 23 Jul 14:37  

Bike:

James Whale is the worse radio presenter for complaining about cyclists. Every week he seems to have an hour dedicated to them on LBC.

We have an illegal amount of pollution in London and it is because of motor vehicles. All you hear is "motorists pay their road tax, cyclists don't". Well infact, cyclists also pay income tax, which go towards the roads.

Cyclists pay a greater price; breathing in all the illegal amounts of pollution from all the exhausts of the motor vehicles.

spaceman 23 Jul 14:39  

Bike:

My Profile
I am also a car owner, and have an HGV licence and cycle 40 mile a day from Bedworth to work in Warwick. I find by far the majority of road users are considerate. I also believe you must in certain instances claim your space when needed. I am also considerate and thank drivers when I have held them up. e.g. when I am driving in the middle of the lane in a badly holed road. Occasionally drivers may cut me up a little but extremely rarely would i say this is malicious.
I believe we can do more good by being friendly and working with the other road users.
I also believe the world is a reflection of the self? We create and form all there is.
ps
Well done Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky.

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

eltelio 24 Jul 09:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Come on cyclevegan you must have realised by now that James Whale is the biggest wind up merchant of all time. Its part of the remit of his job to stir people up, cause a reaction, sit back and watch the crap hit the fan. Most rational people take about an iota of what he says with a pinch of salt, and the rest of it is discarded as trash. I think he is good entertainment value but thats about it!
Well done indeed Wiggins, Froome, and Cavendish!

My Latest Route: May 2012 Wylam and Beyond

splendid_jim 24 Jul 10:22  

Bike:

cyclevegan,
What are you suggesting is the cancer of our society?

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.