We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Rain and wet feet VS commuter cyclists. Should I innovate?

charlieg_b 19 Nov 05:12  

Bike:

Is anyone else tired of getting wet feet on the commute to work? Is your current solution suboptimum? Should I do something about it?

Wet it rains, personally….taking another form of transport is not a solution! Mudguards only do half the job. Overshoes are bulky to carry and a pain to put on. Shoe changes are inconvenient and need foresight. Available waterproof trousers stop working at the ankle. Ponchos are ugly and impractical. And I can name over 5 other solutions that are just ridiculous!

As an entrepreneur and cyclist I’ve decided to try to solve this problem. My idea is for a pair of waterproof trousers with integrated overshoes. Something simple, functional and stylish. It’s not an easy design problem to crack but I think it’s possible.

What do you think? A worthy problem to solve? A product you would potentially buy?

Thanks for your feedback!
Cheers
Charlie
(ps - working name is Hoof Bike Wear)

vorlon 19 Nov 18:00  

Bike:

I have this same problem - I don't know what overshoes you use, but mine are not really bulky and are easy to put on!

The main problem with waterproof trousers is keeping them off the chain, which is why I don't bother with mine any more - my legwear dries over the course of the day at work, so it's not really a big deal for me

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't buy one :)

STID 20 Nov 05:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I would love to read the "5 other solutions that are just ridiculous!"

My overshoes are waterproof, easy to put on and not bulky at all. They fit nicely into the side pocket of my backpack. I have used plastic bags inside my shoes to keep my feet dry, cheap and easy too.

Waterproof over trousers will be bulky to carry and a pain to put on.

Vorlon, cycle clips keep waterproof trousers off the chain.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

BigDino 20 Nov 12:27  

Bike:

luckily we have a "drying room" for cyclists. i keep work shoes here so its a case on getting out of my gear and putting on work clothes. Happened to get hit really hard today witht the rain/hail. not fun. lol

with regards to a product, i think something like that already exsists, maybe, what would be need is a dry suit/ waders.

charlieg_b 04 Dec 06:44  

Bike:

Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm aiming to have one product that solves all the problems you mention. So rather than carrying trousers, overshoes and clips you have one product that is quick and easy to slip on and smaller to carry.

If you are interested in following the development then search for Hoof Bike Wear (www.hoofbikewear.weebly.com) and you'll find the website and Facebook page. Via Facebook I'll be asking the community for feedback/input on the design so it will be a collaborative process.

Happy riding
Cheers
Charlie

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.