We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Pumping up tyres?

jumpexchange 10 Jul 17:07  

Bike:

Hi
I find it difficult to pump my tyres up sufficiently hard. They do seem to get a bit soft quite quickly too. I dont think it is a puncture because they only go a bit soft and then stay like that.

I feel like I can't balance as well when the tyres are not really hard - is that my imagination or is that the way it works?
Thanks
JEX

Cycling Dude 10 Jul 17:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Inflate your bike tyres between 40 - 65 psi
Your tyres should be firm, but not over inflated, if a tyre is flatter than the other, you will feel the drag or lag, and also, the comfort will be targeted, inflate/deflate your tyres every two weeks, making sure the pump has a gauge, also after every couple of weeks, check the inner-tube for ware and damage, and replace if nessassary.
Hope that has been useful!!
Live in Sunderland!!!???
Email us: stealthcycling@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks!

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

dudley 13 Jul 02:51  

Bike:

My Profile
depends

road tyres? 23mm? you'll need over 90psi, if not 110.
MTB? 40-80psi, depending on surface and tyre size
if non-skinny road tyres, i'd verge towards the 65 from the 40.

there is a very wide range - just like cars etc. some car tyres have 28psi, to a tractor operating on a mere 9psi.

most tyres will have max inflation number on the side too.

it shouldn't affect balance unless they are really deflated and the tubes wobbling on the rim, which will be really obvious.
If it feels wobbly, it is too low, almost definitely.
worth checking if your wheels are true as well.
lift bike off ground and spin by hand. does the wheel run straight, or have a wobble?

best thing is to get a track pump at home if you are planning to cycle alot.
quick easy pumping, and a big gauge to see what's what. Can be only £20

hard to get to, and monitor the high pressures with a 'traditional' pump.

hard tyres (as long as not too hard) do make life easier with reduced rolling resistance.
too low pressure, and your tyres will wear out quickly through too much flex in the side walls.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

cinammongirl 31 Jul 07:33  

Bike:

My Profile
I would say it really depends on the type of bike/tyres, weight of the rider as well as the amount of use and the capacity of the tubes.

I have a road bike, and for the tyres, it is usually a max of 120psi. I tend to punp them up to 100psi and that works fine for the normal commute.
On weeks when im also doing distance runs (over 45mins rides) then i usually have to pump them twice per week.

It does help if the valves have caps on them (or so i've been told, but i've never noticed any difference).

My Latest Route: May 2010 Woolwich Dockyard to Catford Station

epa611 03 Aug 11:56  

Bike:

My Profile
1. Check pressures weekly
2. Compare pressures against those on tyre
3. Get a floor pump with a gauge to ensure correct tyre pressure.

Air does leak out of tyres - they are not 100% airtight.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.