We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Pedal Clips/Straps. Advice please.

sonny walkman 07 Jun 17:17  

Bike:

My Profile
I've been gradually getting into cycling over the last 3 years or so doing mainly on-road stuff on a hybrid which I'm perfectly happy with. I have recently replaced my bike and given the old one to my son who has started to commute by bike.

I've never bothered with clips or straps before and - in my mind- managed perfectly well without them. My son wanted clips putting on his bike and I duly obliged and he said that while they took a bit of getting used to, he's quite comfortable with them now. We went for the steel ones for ease of getting feet in an out when stopping

I have also been looking at putting clips on my new bike, however when I tried the old bike with clips I felt as though the upwards motion on my legs was being restricted in some way. The clips themselves feel comfortable on my feet and I have fitted the size recommended for my shoe size (large for a size 9) and the seat height is fine.

Would my problem be because I have got used to having my feet too far forward on an unclipped pedal and adapted my riding style to compensate?

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

sdwalker 08 Jun 04:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Sounds like you already know what the problem is. The best foot placement is having the ball of your foot right over the centre of the pedal, as it allows for the best transfer of energy into the cycling motion. It is not however the most comfortable position to ride in with just flat pedals, and when you are used to having your feet free and not restricted, using clips or cleated pedals will help train your foot as you are restricting its movement and effectively locking your foot to the pedal in the right position. It will feel more natural with time so keep going with it.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

Kelletcycles 08 Jun 11:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Although you say 'the seat height is fine' I wonder if it isn't too low when using clips.

A quick way of checking your seat height is to sit with your flat foot centre on the pedal with your leg straight, then when you are in clips your leg has a slight bend when at the bottom of the stroke.

If,when flat footed you already have a slight bend you will need to up the saddle when the pedal is correctly under the ball of your foot. Give it a try.

My Latest Route: Jan 2015 Lancs-yorks

sonny walkman 09 Jun 15:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Many thanks for the feedback and advice.

I have had new pedals fitted to my own bike which are smaller and have more grip than the ones that came with the bike. I have not fitted clips to them yet as I want to get used to using the ball of my foot applying pressure to begin with whilst still having the 'luxury' of being able to go flat footed in case I feel the need to.

I did one of my regular 10 mile routes this evening on the new pedals and apart from adjusting a pedal that turned upside down when setting off at traffic lights a couple of times, I did not go flat footed once. I felt my calves were working harder than usual on a couple of inclines early in the ride but other than that did not experience any discomfort. My speedometer also showed a higher than expected average speed for the route so hopefully it was my new style starting to pay dividends and not just the lack of strong headwinds that contributed to this.

I think another week or so of getting used to this style & the new pedals and I'll be ready to put the clips on.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.