We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Knee Pain

bikeman54 18 Jun 06:32  

Bike:

Hi everyone,
I have just joined. Following on from a posting I have seen on this site re KNEE PAIN - at 50-something I have been back on the bike for about 6 months now after an emergency liver transplant 2 and a half years ago. Before then, I hadn't been on the bike for years but, in my younger days, I was a very competitive county cyclist - mainly road racing but some TTs. Since coming back to cycling, I have had intermittent KNEE PAIN on the inside of my knee. If you were to draw a line between the crease of the knee behind the leg and the tip of the patella, the pain would be approximately in the centre of that line. I get reddening of the skin and sometimes slight bruising just below that line. I don't get the pain all the time and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the pain. I have adjusted my saddle height to 108% of my inside leg from centre of pedal crank to top of saddle. The saddle is absolutely level (parallel to the ground) - I don't push big gears and I try and keep my cadence above 80 rpm, except when climbing and then it drops down to about 76. I tend to train for between 1 and 1 and a half hours, 5 times a week. I am quite big still, being 98 kilos, but I was well over 110 and would like to be 90-ish. I will try Glucosamine sulphate tabs but any other tips would be most welcome.
Yours in sport

txbnet 19 Jun 08:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bikeman54

I am the same age as you and had the very same type of injury after three days of LEJOG, and it was really bad on days 4 and 5. I remember stopping in Cheshire and ringing home for advice as I thought I may have to pull out of the ride. A friend posted on my blog to take anti inflammatory tablets such as Diclophenic so I popped into a pharmacy and took advice. The pharmacy gave me some Voltease. I hate taking anything but after taking four tablets a day, the pain went... it was a gradual thing, didn't clear up straight away. It was around two or three days later. But I was able to keep doing 90 miles a day without damaging the knee. Arriving into Scotland the knee just seemed to get stronger and stronger and I don't need to take anything at the moment. I'm hoping the problem has cleared, I've done a couple of 60 milers since LEJOG without problems.

Perhaps see a pharmacist if you can't get to see the GP. They're knowledgable and seem to understand how the joints work! I was certainly thankful of the advice.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

bikeman54 20 Jun 04:34  

Bike:

Thanks txbnet,
I will try to get the meds you recommended and give them a try. I am in France and the chemists may not have what the UK chemists stock, but I might be able to buy them on Ebay. Failing that, I will go to my GP. My lovely wife has just reminded me that I was prescribed some Diclofenac gel by the doc for stiff neck and shoulder. I shall try that on my knee and see if I can get some tabs.
Watch this space!
Yours in sport

GeraldineDye 11 Sep 00:03  

Bike:

As soon as you go through appropriate knee pain diagnosis, it is possible to undoubtedly receive ideal therapy methods for the knee agony. Relying on the outcomes, the best choice for treatment method can be suggested by your doctor. It may reduce the constant misery you've been surviving in because of the knee pain.

BusterG 11 Sep 04:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bikeman54
You may already have resolved your issue but just seen this post due to geraldines post. Hope so.
The issue may be your foot position on the pedals placing the pressure on your knees.
Have you tried changing pedal, cleat or seat postion to get a different angle on the downstroke?
best thing I ever did was spend time getting my bike setup correct.
Good luck everyone and painfree riding.
Buster

PS 43 gone from 105kg to 90kg thanks to cycling.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

GeraldineDye 16 Sep 12:00  

Bike:

Simply the right test could effectively analyze the knee discomfort. Should the cause is a bone tissue crack, it may be viewed evidently in graphic scans, plus it could quickly be cured.
Visit site : http://www.kneepaindiagnosis.info/knee-pain-remedies/

pathfinder2tri 19 Sep 07:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bikeman,

read your post with interest, as a 53 yearold former Paratrooper, Army cyclist and triathlete, I do too have problems with my knees (understatement not intended!) My pain usually occurs when I get off the bike and in a similar area, which, totally defies the norm Cycle related knee pain.
What I have found has reduced the level of pain and discomfort is yoga and pilates exercising twice a week. These exercises keep the muscles supple and not puuling tendons or getting tighter. The glucosemene is a good idea, but this seems to be accumulative, I take them daily, but it has taken 12 months to really make a change. Do try glucosemine gell rubbed into the area ( best after a bath or shower, keep the gell refrigerated) this seems to work quite well.

Hope this is of help.

Paul (pathfinder2tri)

My Latest Route: Oct 2012 Faversham, Chillham, Molash Return

Manicopus 10 Mar 10:55  

Bike:

My Profile
For everyone now, this type of therapy is very important. Out of experience, I understand and know. But real knowledge and understanding in the process is difficult to integrate. Therefore, reference to practitioners is only appropriate. If you know where to go, you can even do so online. Fortunately, my friends have told me that training support is very easy, you can contact residential https://calmerry.com It helped me prevent a mental breakdown due to work shortages. A crisis like that should now be expected. This is the only way to provide strong psychological support.

khadimhussain 16 Mar 03:46  

Bike:

People need to know how to do istikhara for marriage. What is istikhara can be known difficultly because it has complications. In this regard, we are rendering our services such as rohani ilaj. You can gain wazaif as well. Use our platform in order to obtain more benefits.
https://www.dawateislami.net/rohaniilaj/tawizateattaria

SimpsonStanley 17 Apr 05:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for educating us about such medicine-producing services here. I didn't have a lot of info about tabletki na potencj? and these services before, but I have sufficient info now. It would be good if you shared some other essential details with us, as well.

asad664 23 May 02:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Stretching reduces the tightness in your decreasing muscular pain and irritated nerves. This nerve irritation occurs at the top of your neck. This causes typical neck-based headaches or cervicogenic headaches. headaches

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.