We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

John o groats to lands end

flame999 19 Oct 17:24  

Bike:

Has anyone done this solo ? I have just started to plan for next year

jmr 24 Oct 16:40  

Bike:

No, I haven't but I am planning on doing it in 2011. I'd like to avoid main roads as much as possible, but also hills! My dream is to go on quiet unhilly roads. What can anyone suggest?! Which direction is recommendable, north to south or south to north?

brumbear 07 Nov 17:44  

Bike:

My Profile
.....The end to end with no hills???

My Latest Route: Nov 2010 Bedford to Grafham Water Loop via Eaton Socon

freddo 19 Nov 07:37  

Bike:

I'll be interested to see what info you get because I've just started planning a solo on this for next year

Mac Canonymous 19 Nov 13:37  

Bike:

Loads of info here

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=2725bfc3a630173239e4009a725df302

And here

http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/

And here

http://www.cyclechat.net/forum/40-lands-end-to-john-ogroats-lejog/

Good luck

ian hardman 12345 05 Jan 17:41  

Bike:

Hi, my names Ian, i live in barnsley,south yourkshire, and im hoping to do john o groats to lands end in august 2012. i'm looking for anyone who's interested in coming along for the ride on a lesurely ride as i need to have somone who's got a little knowlage on mtb's plus who can watch bikes whilst calling into any shops that we need to go to on route.
can i add im not doing it for any sponsors just myself,if your interested contact me at ihardman@yahoo.com or call me on 01226 752265/07510 518888.

paul the bike 05 Jan 18:13  

Bike:

hi i am paul aged 54 from lancaster also going to do this route for charity have not bean on a bike since i was 15 so any help wood be great

Tom Dunn 06 Jan 06:32  

Bike:

hi,
did it in 10 days solo 30 march 2010,
muir of ord (family), ballachullish (youth hostel), kilmarnock (travel lodge, no prob with bike), dumfries (trav lodge), kendal (trav lodge), runcorn (tra lo), telford(friend), bristol (trav lodge), Oakhampton (tra lodge) and lands end.

booking way in advance meant 19 quid a night and they were perfect as you could have a family room with loads of space,

bloody mindedness is a must!

good luck, i was anovice but caught the bug.
London to Alicante july for cerebral palsy this time, no lodges, m, my koga miyata and a tent this time!

Solo is the way to do it, no one to rely on except you!

Robroy 17 Jan 08:23  

Bike:

hi looking to do central belt scotland... to john o groats solo this year.....just started the planning...so looking forward to this cant wait...

feryman 17 Jan 17:39  

Bike:

Me to and seems much further than when I first decided to do it

txbnet 18 Jan 16:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Does anyone know how to get to the start at JO'G ? Can you take a bike taxi or something similar from the nearest station? Which is it? Thurso or Wick? Also getting away from LE at the end of it, what's there to do there and can you get a lift to the nearest station, or is it a case of pedalling back to Penzance?

Where's the best palace to stay at each end? How many miles should you look to be doing each day, and is it worth having a rest day or just cracking on? Sorry for all the questions, but probably doing it solo in 2011. Fit enough to do around 90 miles a day, subject to weather and surviving those hills! So that's my summer holiday gone!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

eborandy 25 Jan 08:50  

Bike:

5 of us doing it in April so at the moment I am living breathing and eating LEJOG !

we are weekend leisure cyclists who have no experience of endurance rides, we will be on Hybrids and aim to do about 65 miles a day for the fortnight

learnt so far that a cheap train to Penzance and 15 mile ride to the start is a reasonable way to begin but getting from JoG to Inverness is an all together more challenging bit of logistics. I reckon that it takes about 7 hours on public transport to travel those 136 miles so we have plumped for a minibus and trailer pickup and then a cheap train from Inverness (cheap means booking at exactly the right time, normally 3 mths before)

The route is still under construction so to speak but we have based it on the CTC B& B route with a few mods to allow a 30 mile start and 40 mile last day finish

no accomodation booked yet but expect it to be a B&B, Travel Lodge and YHA mash up

hope this helps a little

Tom Dunn 25 Jan 08:56  

Bike:

get the train to thurso and ride to the start, stay the night and get an early start.

txbnet 25 Jan 10:30  

Bike:

My Profile
May see you eborandy in April, I booked for the middle of April to start at LE (by train to Penzance) but not sure of when I'll reach JOG so difficult to know which train to book back!

My route has taken shape, and its sort of Boscoastle, Tiverton, Monmouth, Shrewsbury, Preston, Carlisle, Cumnock, Kilmarnock, Fort William, and straight up the centre of Scotland to Bettyhill, then right along the top to JOG.

I must say, doing it solo, the idea of the long stretches through Northern Scotland without food shops, bike repair shops and mobile telephone signals is a bit daunting! Is it really that remote?

eborandy 25 Jan 15:11  

Bike:

Advantage of five is that we can carry a fair bit of stuff so if we are anywhere near then happy to support if you need anything. We set off on the 15th at 4pm, so long as the train isn't late !

txbnet 25 Jan 15:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Will defo see you, I'm staying overnight 14th and setting off first thing 15th. Hope to make Boscastle which I think is 80mls from the start. Wouldn't mind paying for a slot on your minibus coming back if there are any vacancies. Ebor must mean your going back to York, right past my door! My email is my pen-name on here at gmail dot com

jkemp 06 Feb 12:05  

Bike:

yes i have DONT you will really need a friend or 2 with you, i had myself riding and my friend in a follow up van with spare tubes etc in

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.