We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

John O Groats To Lands End

allybath 25 Sep 20:27  

Bike:

Hi Guys,

I have decided that due to the fact i turn 30 next year i want to do something i have always wanted to do, yep thats right i want to do the famous John O Groats to Lands End

Im looking for advice on the best/safest route for someone looking to do it in 10 days, im going to start training next week and my aim is to be ready to do this next september time for charity

Im also looking for advice on what bike would be best to buy for this, im thinking about buying a Giant Defy 2 but not 100% sure this is the right bike for my challenge

rustyspoke 26 Sep 14:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Well good luck is the first thing I will say.
Having done this supported its a lot different than if you do it unsupported.
CTC web site will help you with routes and other information can be found on the web.
I used a road bike ,the type of bike depends on what you like riding the route and many other factors.
If your not a cyclist by that i mean someone who has ridden for many years and rides on a regular ride, then you need to get in the training.
I organised the ride the route and all the back up it took a year to plan it and arrange everything
but it can be done quicker.
10 Days is a good time frame if you are on your own but you will still need to do upwards of seventy miles a day to complete it.
If your on your own travel as light as you can but be prepared for everything.
Good luck.

allybath 26 Sep 16:57  

Bike:

Thanks, i went to my local bike shop who advised me that a Giant Defy 2 would be a very good bike and is as good as many bikes twice its price so looks like ill get this one,

I will be riding on my own but will have a support (wife in car) carrying all my necessary equipment i may need,

Going to look at all different routes tonight as i really have no idea what route is best for someone like myself, ideally i want to stay clear of busy main routes when possible

rustyspoke 26 Sep 17:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Regarding you route well there are parts where you will be able to stay away from traffic and parts not.
Also remember you back up vehicle may not be able to get to some of the routes and these may also not be suitable for a road bike take time to look at several routes and keep in my mind if you need things from back up vehicle food/drink if they cant get to you.

txbnet 27 Sep 23:04  

Bike:

My Profile
The prevailing winds are usually from the South West or West, so it may save a lot of effort to go from bottom to top. Its tough enough without taking on a headwind!

My LEJOG took 954 miles, 11 days, mainly staying to the west right up the side of England, followed by a more central route through Scotland. I planned for around three months over the winter of 2010/11 and did it in April 2011.

Scotland was by far the much better part of the tour. Spectacular views! Devon (Day 2 for me) was by far the hardest, its a surprisingly hilly county with constant hill climbing whichever route you choose.

I went completely solo which meant I could decide when and where to stop without having to be responsible to anyone. So if I fancied 100 miles in a day, I could get on with it.

One down side of having no support is you have to handwash your cycling top/shorts most nights if you don't want to stink! So that you can get away with only carrying two or three sets of kit. Youth Hostels are brilliant mainly because they are cheap and have good kitchen, lounge and washroom facilities.

But the sense of achievement (I was 54 yrs old when I completed it) is really something and you do feel you have a better knowledge of this island when you're done.

I did it on a Ridgeback Element (Hybrid), so I could go off road if I wished. No punctures throughout! I have a road bike for day tours but wouldn't like to have done this distance on a sharp saddle and narrow tyres!

Very best of luck.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

picnic4u 11 Oct 21:16  

Bike:

Hi Allybath,

Interested in your post. I'm 47 not been a cyclist and had this made idea that I would do the JOGLE next year as well! I brought a Defy 1 and as part of my training did Portsmouth to Lands End last month ( to get a feel for what it was like riding day after day) never done that before this ride. I've been blogging the whole thing, sort of training i've done, equipment etc . The route I took and the likely ( not set in stone yet) route I'll be taking. Did the Portsmouth To Lands End ride solo carried it all. Was preparing to do the JOGLE solo and B&B but now have a friend who is just starting to train to join me ( ours will be May)
If you Have got any questions have a look on the site below and i'll try to help out as much as I can. It works in reverse order so best to start back in January , hope its of some help

All the Best.

http://p2p-picnic4u.blogspot.co.uk/

stubbers 05 Nov 13:27  

Bike:

Hi Ya,
I did it all by myself two years ago unsupported on a mountain bike using slick tyres, with a rack on the back with 3 stone of weight on the back. I did it in 11 nights and 12 days. It was the hardist thing that I have done in my life. I started training on the 24th of December and did my ride September the 17. I was really emotional at the end. I loved every minute of it. I slept in a £7.50 tent from Tesco. If you would like more details, my e-mail address is garry.stubbers@gmail .com.

Good luck !!!!!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.