We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

HELP PLEASE!!! Where do i start to organise a charity cycle

reception 06 Jan 05:34  

Bike:

Hi,

My MD has asked me to organise a charity bike ride and I have no clue where to start!

I have a couple of ideas on what route the ride will take but now my boss is asking what type of roads these routes go along and if there are any obstacals in the way such as mountains etc.

Does anybody have a clue where i can get started to plan this charity cycle? are there any organisations that will do the hard work for me and plan it?

The main routes that we are considering are Alfred Wainwright's Coast to Coast or The tower of London to Blackpool Tower. The course has to be completed within a couple of days.

If anyone can shed some light or at least point me in the right direction to get started i would really appriciate it.

Many Thanks

Carrie Fisher

krazykayaker 06 Jan 08:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Why not just join a ride that is already organised?

What charity are you raising money for? have a look at there website and see if any events are already arranged and join it

I know the most of the big charities organise events

This way you dont need to worry about route planning, marshalls etc as its all done for you

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

dudley 06 Jan 08:40  

Bike:

My Profile
in terms of hills, plot your route on bikeroutetoaster.com it will give you a full gradient map for the whole ride, so you can see the nasties!

if it is a big affair, aiming for lots of cash, loads of participants, the only way to sensibly give a full run-down on the route, safety issues, traffic etc is to drive or cycle it well in advance.

if it is a maverick bunch of a few like-minded friends - just do it.

go heavy on disclaimers
it is not a race
enter at own risk
responsible for safety / suitability of own bike
responsible for your own fitness level etc

avoid marshals etc.

do whatever you can to avoid risk assessments, 3rd party insurances etc etc etc.
They will kill the fun, and profitability for charity.

avoid shambolic events like London Brighton - too popular, and no fun as a result.

get out and do your own thing - more enjoyable, and more of an achievement

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.