We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Grand Union Canal Milton Keynes to London

1 2 >
Velocipede 03 May 04:03  

Bike:

My Profile
I am planning on cycling Milton Keynes to London along Grand Union Canal. Would like help on where to get decent map in case of diversions and also wondered, from those that have done it in the past, would it be possible to do in a day? Plan to do the ride in August.

Look forward to all the help I can get!

Many thanks

sunidorset 08 May 07:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
I'm just about 60 & like flatish rides. Live in Dorset & had to bring a car back from Luton on Monday 5th May. Got off train at Waterloo. Used www.tfl.gov.uk for a traffic free London route. You type in "where to & from" &, hey presto, it gives u a printable route. I wanted to use the Lea Valley which is cyclable on a Hybrid, ATB or Mountain bike.
I arrived @ Waterloo @ 1045 , got to Limehouse (1115) to Hoddesdon & then roads to Ware, Hertford, Welwyn & Luton(1615). It was very pleasurable with pubs on the way (if u need). Even though it was a Bank Holiday, the traffic was not a problem. The towpaths were very Bank Holiday Monday busy so perhaps too slow for you.
Good Luck!

My Latest Route: Mar 2008 Swanage to Portishead

Darkrider 31 May 13:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

You should be able to get the maps you want from the outdoor pursuits shop in the Food Hall its to the left side as you look at sainsburys, they carry most of the os maps you could ever want LOL.

On another note though make sure you have some form of anti puncture fitted or you'll be stopping every couple of Miles to make repairs.

good luck with your planning from a fellow Milton Keynes cyclist.

rgds

Dave

My Latest Route: Jun 2008 Willen Loop

Velocipede 31 May 14:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Hiya

Thanks for replies. I've now managed to get map and will pop up the city as suggested for more info. I'm still hoping to hear from someone that has done part or all of the route for more info on towpath conditions, etc.

Wish me luck!

Sharon

Velocipede 31 May 14:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Dave

As fellow MK cyclist, have you done much canal cycling or are you a speedy roadster? The furthest I've gone so far is Cosgrove to Fenny, so hoping my bottom will still be in tact with the additional miles!

Sharon

Darkrider 01 Jun 18:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sharron

yes have cycled the length of the MK stretch much like yourself several times and then went south through Leighton Buzzard as far as Tring resovoirs, this was a coule of years ago mind, however the towpath was in fairly good condition just watch out for the Bramble bushes play havoc with non protected tyres lol (not that i would know that from my own journey of course not lol).

you said you were going to do your trip in August do you know when if I were you I would avoid weekends and bank holidays or you could find your trip slowed down to a crawl by other users and fishermen.

hope this helps

Dave

Velocipede 02 Jun 13:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Dave

Think the weekday suggestion is a good one, don't fancy tripping over fisherman and pushchairs all the way!

I'll let you know how I get on and if I actually make it in one day, which is the plan. Will get some puncture resistant tyres and take along a couple of spare inner tubes. Had a few punctures myself on the tow paths especially just after the hedges are cut.

Regards
Sharon

Darkrider 02 Jun 13:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sharron

you dont have to get new tyres you can get a product called slime tube protector. its availiable at most cycle shops I just got mine from halfords. heres a link for some on ebay so you can see what its like.

Tyres

Good luck with your ride

Dave

Velocipede 02 Jun 17:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Dave

Is this stuff a liquid? and won't it make my already cumbersome bike a whole lot heavier? And, most importantly did it work? or did you still get any punctures.

How long did it take you to get to Leighton Buzzard? and where did you start from in MK

Ta Ta for now

Sharon

Murray Barnes 02 Jun 21:12  

Bike:

My Profile
It's not a liquid, it's a strip of jelly, basically, that goes between the tube and the tyre. It's not that heavy, but I've never tried it myself, so can't tell you if it prevents punctures. But since the manufacturer have that guarantee to replace any inner tube punctured while using the stuff, it must work fairly well

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Great Glen Cycleway

Velocipede 03 Jun 11:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Murray

I'll consider my options, maybe a little more investigation required there then reach some kind of decision.

Good luck with your next ride!

Sharon

Darkrider 03 Jun 14:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sharron

From Willen lake area to Leighton took me a little over 1.25 hours but that was plodding lol

Dave

Peter C 30 Jul 11:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi thereyou may already have done the ride (I've only just logged on to the forum) but I did the route from Near Warwick to Little Venice (Edgware Road) in one and a half days a few years ago. I have the write-up if you want to read it.

Cheers

Peter

jpd6 04 Aug 08:58  

Bike:

Hello!

I did cycle from Campbell Park in MK to Brentford along the Grand Union on Sunday 27th July. It was very hot day thus I ended up using much more water than I expected! I finished at Brentford at the end of the Grand Union canal and got the train from Brentford station to Waterloo, cycled over to Euston and train back to MK. Apparently, it is possible to carry onwards toward Central London via the Thames from Brentford or turning off along the Paddington branch of the Grand Union canal.

The towpath along most of the route is very good. Parts of the path between Leighton Buzzard and Marsworth was overgrown thus wearing gloves and a helment was very handy! Hillingdon and Southall were the only other parts that were not too good due to the amount of rubbish scattered along the path with sharp objects.

The whole ride trip with the stops I'm guessing took about 6 to 7 hours for me. Some things I didn't quite appreciate before the ride is that Sunday is probably the busiest day of the week! There was a lot of anglers that had camped out with tents along the way with an angling contest going on.

The ride is certainly possible in a day, and I would recommend it. I enjoyed it and I will certainly plan to do it again finishing along the Paddington branch.

Marrrow 23 Oct 09:27  

Bike:

I am planning to cycle from Leicester to London on the canal. On a offroad single speed rigid bike hav be buying os maps to plan the route.

papers 02 Jul 06:56  

Bike:

Having done the whole length of the GU I can honestly say that the trip from MK to London is y far the easiest stretch. Most (if not all by now) is paved or of a good quality. Totally agree with the anti puncture thing. I had kevlar coated tyres and slime and managed to avoid mishaps. My fellow riders did suffer though. It should take you around 4-8 hours depending upon how fast you go.

munchkin 11 Jul 16:30  

Bike:

Is it legal to cycle on the canal paths of Grand Union, I have read an article in a mountain bike magazine where a guy got into trouble for not having a permit to ride on a canal path but not sure if this applies to all canals.

jack00 31 Mar 16:19  

Bike:

My Profile
The Nitto Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Radial Tire is one of the longest-lasting all-terrain tires available. This tire is designed to handle whatever terrain you throw at it, from mud, dirt, and rocks to highway driving. https://bestallterraintires.com/best-all-terrain-tires-for-toyota-tundra/

mrseod 11 Aug 10:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 11:04  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 11:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post. BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 11:16  

Bike:

My Profile
I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 11:26  

Bike:

My Profile
I enjoy it for creating the details, keep up the truly amazing perform continuing BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 11:37  

Bike:

My Profile
The worst part of it was that the software only worked intermittently and the data was not accurate. You obviously canot confront anyone about what you have discovered if the information is not right. BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 11:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Here at this site really the fastidious material collection so that everybody can enjoy a lot. BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 12:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you've done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you've nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. Best! BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 12:39  

Bike:

My Profile
This is truly an practical and pleasant information for all. Thanks for sharing this to us and more power BAM University

mrseod 11 Aug 12:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. BAM University

aarifaackbar23 13 Aug 02:49  

Bike:

My Profile
OKAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.