We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Gel Seats

nige1966 26 Jul 06:36  

Bike:

Hi

I have just recently bought a Raleigh Venture Mens Mountain Bike.

The seat is not very comfy!

Does anyone have a gel seat and are these any good OR should I buy a better set?

Are there any other suggestions also to what I should be buying / carrying with me on my travels?

Cheers

Nige (Wigan)

BusterG 02 Aug 03:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Nige.
I suggest staying away from gel seats.
Problem is they increase the surface area that is in contact with the bike.
I was riding ok without one and took one for a 2 day ride and chaffed like the blazes, never again.
I know saddles can seem hard at first but get yourself a non-racing saddle (they can be extra hard and non-durable) and harden up down below through saddle time and lightly padded shorts.

Advice for what to carry:(in a small bike bag)
Puncture repair kit (stocked)
spare inner tube.
basic tool set inc chain repairer
water (in cage)
mobile phone

Happy riding.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Aurum 02 Aug 08:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Nige,

I agree with BusterG, don't go for the Gel. It does take a short while to get used to a small harder saddle, especially if you haven't cycled for years, but you will get used to it in a short time. Anyway, it gives the family something to smile about when you finish your first long ride and have to walk like John wayne for a day or two. However, trust me.... the pain soon goes away.

Keep riding.

Roger

My Latest Route: Jul 2010 Cheslyn Hay to Coven Circular

toxic 2 02 Aug 14:15  

Bike:

hi nige i had the same problem with my saddle i just adjusted it back a bit and now its fine

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.