We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Difficulty with hills - any advice - Page 3

<< < 2 3
jumpexchange 17 May 17:41  

Bike:

Hi
I took up cycling again about 3 months ago after 10 years of very little exercise. I am overweight (5'4" lady weighing 12.5 stone - down from 13 stone 3 months ago). On the weekends I enjoy cycling with my son on the cycle track (spen valley greenway) which gently climbs in one direction and then it's down hill all the way back. But in the week I am trying to cycle part of my route to work, increasing the cycling part and reducing the drive bit by bit. I live near Heckmondwike and work in Leeds. I now cycle Cottingley area to Leeds and back but it's all long and steep hills up and down for the rest of the journey home. I have tried a few hills from time to time on road and have to get off and walk within a minute or two - I dont seem to be getting any further with practice - is there anything I can do to get better at hills? My problems are that my throat feels red raw and my legs go to jelly.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stargazer 30 Sep 08:29  

Bike:

My Profile
I should think the chain failure was just one of those things. Just one question, do You clean and lube it regularly?

I'd hope that once repaired it should be OK, after all they are jointed to get the on the bike.

As for what to carry with you, you've opened up a whole new thread there methinks! Personal preference and weight will play a big part in everyone's choice. I carry the 'usual' multi-tool thingamy (like a swiss army knife but with allen keys and stuff), a couple of Wilko's finest brake cables (can use 'em on the gear linkages too), mini pump, tyre levers and a puncture repair kit. HTH?

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Chester Circular Via Kelsal Hill

bazuti 01 Oct 06:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,
You will get there, I cycle to work 7 miles ew.(28mins) 3 days a week.If I feel ok I may make it up to about 20miles on the return journey.

As an alternative I have a hardtail for access to work along the canal, same distance(40 mins.)better scenery.

The urban bike's lowest gear always requires me to make an effort up hills, which gives me some training. The hardtails lowest gear could almost get me up a mountain without a massive effort!(slight exaggeration)

Recent weekends have seen me doing long distances on both surfaces, without a constant reference to times and speed.
The barometer I use is always listen to your body! invariably there is a good reason why it is protesting; moreover enjoy the cycling!

Canals have limitations and potential dangers but I make an effort particularly when going under Spaghetti junction(6.30am.)to appreciate how lucky to have this option given the lunacy that is taking place 24/7 immediately above!

It isn't always race!

Good luck.

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Birmingham to Stafford Canal Loop

<<<23

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.