We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycle Insurance

sean8997 04 Sep 16:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all,

I've really only started cycling since Feb when I bought my new bike, done a few charity/organised rides and now thinking its time to actually sort out some insurance cover for my bike, can anyone recomend a good insurance company thats not too expensive that will cover me for events as well as my normal everyday rides, also what should I be looking for when sorting out some insurance i.e. public liability etc

Many thanks

Sean

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop
bloomp 06 Sep 08:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sean,

Try joining British Cycling - see
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/prices
looks like a bargain at £24 for the year for £10M liability cover AND guaranteed lowest price bike insurance - extra obviously :)

I've done same as you - lots of road / off road miles & organised rides & events but still have no insurance on bike or body - time to follow my own advice unless anyone thinks otherwise ?

Paul

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

dudley 06 Sep 09:26  

Bike:

My Profile
never looked into it.

In my view, if you insure everything that you are advised to insure, you'll have no money left to do any of the activities for which you are insuring yourself!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

txbnet 07 Sep 07:19  

Bike:

My Profile
I have just insured my £525 hybrid which cost £53. Endsleigh Insurance. You'll need the frame number from the bottom of your front crank, and you'll have to purchase a D.Bar security device such as a Kryptonite Series 2 which I found here for £18 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewItem&item=280398493311&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It adds weight to your bike but better than stopping for a pint up in some remote part and finding you can't get home again!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

sean8997 20 Sep 10:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Would you belive it, was thinking about getting insurance and been looking into quotes etc, then last night had my car broken into from outside the hotel im staying in and had my bike robbed along with my garmin edge 705 and a bag full of my cycling clothes, just blooming typical. Reported it to the police and all i got was a poxy crime number, not much use to me, oh well saved me from forking out for cycle insurance!!!

txbnet 20 Sep 13:39  

Bike:

My Profile
What a sickener! Let's hope the cops have some CCTV they can look at and see if they recognise any local tea leaf.

Don't let it stop your cycling career in its early stages, I had a bike nicked in my first week in University and that was gut wrenching with no income to replace it and no way of getting to Uni cheaply.

You will get over it and worth getting the insurance and a good D-lock for your next bike. As it was stolen from a locked parked car, have you checked with your motor insurers? You may be covered.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

sean8997 20 Sep 14:29  

Bike:

My Profile
hotel has no cctv and motor insurance dont cover it, cant afford a replacement at the mo as moving into new flat soon so need to save my pennies for that, was really enjoying my cycling only just did a 38 mile jolly on sat and my weight was starting to come down nicely too, devastated, not bothered about anything else, just want my bike back

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.