We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cold Weather, Darker Nights and Cycling

happy 03 Oct 17:08  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hey all,

Now that the weather has once again taken a turn for the worse, and that the nights and mornings are getting darker, what does everyone do at this time with regards to cycling.

It's often considered a seasonal sport, but I'm pretty sure plenty of people still get up to go to work regardless (brave ppl mind, especially when it's snowing)

I for one am ashamed to say, my bike doesn't see the light of day in the heart of winter....

happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71
Josh 05 Oct 17:33  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm sure your not the only one. Many of my colleagues at work have bikes but only use them in the "summer" or hardly at all.

I think only die-hard cyclists, those that cycle to and from work or weekends , do it in all kinds of weather...come what may. On my journey to work (in the car unfortunatley) I see many cyclists on their way to work and I thing to myself..how do they do it day in day out regardless of the conditions?

Saying that it's a seasonal sport is probably right, especially for this country. However, countries with better weather all year round, cycling must be joy nearly every day.

Josh

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 West Bromwich Circular via Great Barr and Kings Heath

Murray Barnes 06 Oct 09:38  

Bike:

My Profile
I am too lazy to get up early enough to walk to work, and too cheap to pay for the bus, so I cycle every single day. It's only a fifteen minute ride, so it's not too bad. Not looking forward to actual winter though.

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Great Glen Cycleway

JoeB 06 Oct 17:22  

Bike:

Cycling isn't a seasonal sport; its a mode of transport. The cheapest, cleanest, quickest and healthiest way to get to work.

I cycle to work every day no matter what the weather and I am no cyclopath, just someone who needs to get to work quickly and cheaply.

It does take some organisation. You can get cold and wet but my journey takes a maximum of 40 mins. If its cold - I go a bit faster to keep warm. I have a change of clothes at work and change when I get there every morning.

Josh 08 Oct 08:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Do you have showers at work to wash after your ride into work or just have a towel wash in the toilets?

It's a pity that even though there is an effort being made to get more people to cycle in general and cycle to work with the Cycle-to-Work scheme, which is what my company is doing, very few have showering or proper washing facilites. This is one thing that puts me off cycling to work on an everyday basis especially in bad weather.

My route to work is a mixture of road/canal cycling and covers approx 8 miles, which I'm managing to do in abnout 40 minutes. The road bit is o.k. even in bad conditions, but the canal section can be muddy in places after a downpour. This can lead me ending up at work with not just wet clothes but also muddy and knowing that there's a hot shower at the end of my journey would be more of an incentive to ride on a daily basis instead of the occasional times.

Josh

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 West Bromwich Circular via Great Barr and Kings Heath

happy 08 Oct 16:06  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hey Josh,

Yeah would have to agree with you there. Any ride thats gonna take about 45minutes or more to get to work, will undoubtably make you sweat a little, and having to arrive at work and change into a suit is the last thing you really want to do.

I don't really know many workplaces that do have showers for their employees either.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Murray Barnes 08 Oct 18:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Maybe I'm just lucky, but everywhere I have worked has had showers. To be fair, in many of the places, nobody ever used them.

Two of them had showers because they had gyms in them for employees, and one had showers because it was a fish factory, and we all stank to high heavens. No idea why the other had a shower. It ended up used as a cleaner's storage cupboard...

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Great Glen Cycleway

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.