We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Can you cycle with a broken spoke?

russelllunn 05 Jan 13:41  

Bike:

On the way back from work heard a twang and felt the back wheel go a bit funny. Stopped and realised the wheel wasn't true any more. Checked and a spoke has gone. problem is that I can't get it to the LBS before the weekend and I rely on it to get to work at the moment. Not rubbing too much on the brake but not sure whether it'll do any more damage if I keep riding it.

smithie 05 Jan 19:07  

Bike:

My Profile
The one thing you must do apparently is to disconnect the back brake. I'm told that if you don't do this the wheel very quickly loses it's shape to the point of no repair.

I had the same thing happen and I didn't disconnect the brake soon enough, the wheel went egg-shaped!!

krazykayaker 06 Jan 08:14  

Bike:

My Profile
If the wheel feels different and is rubbing the brake it is already out of shape

I wouldn't ride on it

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

dudley 06 Jan 08:33  

Bike:

My Profile
i lost a spoke miles from anywhere last year.

for each spoke pulling one way, there's a spoke pulling the other.

I loosened the opposing spokes (one each side) marginally, and this seemed to help keep it true-ish to get home.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

russelllunn 06 Jan 16:15  

Bike:

Many thanks...borrowed a bike for the next couple of days off a mate and will get it sorted by the LBS at the weekend (although they said that they are going to have to send off for the correct size spoke!).

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.