We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

COLD FEET

brumbear 07 Nov 17:19  

Bike:

My Profile
.....No, Not the " I really don't want to swing my leg over the bike today" Kind of Cold feet, the real kind. Now the colder weather is with us, I get really freezing cold feet, while the rest of me is as warm as toast.

I wear Marino wool socks and today,I had my overshoes on for the first time this year. Result.....feet like blocks of bloody ice.

Any help will be very gratefully received.

Jon

My Latest Route: Nov 2010 Bedford to Grafham Water Loop via Eaton Socon
STID 08 Nov 06:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Jon,

Same here. Went for a 50 mile cycle yesterday and about 20 miles in my feet were already like blocks of ice. Thankfully I popped into a friends to thaw them out and continue on my way. But by the time I got home I had the blocks of ice again to the extent I could not feel them.

I had on two pairs of socks, one cotton, one cotton/wool mix but not much good. Thinking of try a pair of neoprene socks, but when I used then for winter fishing I found they make my feet very wet.

If anyone has solved their problem of cold feet I would love to know how you did it.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

sean8997 08 Nov 11:22  

Bike:

My Profile
I use a pair of overshoe socks which keep my feet fairly warm and if its raining I stick on my waterproof overshoes, these combined keep my feet relatively nice and snug

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

sallyann 08 Nov 12:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
my husband swears by wearing a plastic bag over his socks! I've not tried it myself but will give it ago tommorrow :)

soren 08 Nov 15:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Bought a pair of waterproof socks £19.99p from go outdoors,result dry and warm cosy toeses.

krazykayaker 08 Nov 17:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Have to agree with Soren,

Waterproof socks are also quite windproof which helps keep your feet warm as well as dry

I've got some Porelle ones, seem quite good

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

sean8997 10 Nov 12:10  

Bike:

My Profile
Where did you get your waterproof socks from? I went out today, did 40 mile, sun was out, had my oversocks on but still had feet like blocks of ice, took a good half hour to thaw out when i got home

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

soren 10 Nov 15:25  

Bike:

My Profile

Where did you get your waterproof socks from? I went out today, did 40 mile, sun was out, had my oversocks on but still had feet like blocks of ice, took a good half hour to thaw out when i got home.

go outdoors.

krazykayaker 12 Nov 16:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Mine were from Ebay

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

STID 12 Nov 19:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Today I bought a pair of SealSkinz ankle length socks which are purported to be waterproof, breathable and windproof. Also ordered a pair of BBB heavy duty 3mm multi-stretch neoprene overshoe, and if that does not work then I will only cycle when the temperature is 100° c in the shade.

Just hoping for a dry Sunday so I can try them out.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

AideyM 13 Nov 04:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Frozen toes are something I suffer with.
I have sealskin, overshoes etc and tried every combination

Sealskin are great at keeping wet out but don't keep warm

too many pairs of socks and boots get tight, the tighter the boot the quicker my feet go cold.

I wear a thin inner sock, a slightly thicker outersock, make sure my shoes are no tighter than usual and then were a neoprene overshoe. The result is I can easily do three hour rides with no discomfort at all.

My Latest Route: Nov 2010 Streetly to Drayton Bassett and Minworth Circuit

albion 13 Nov 12:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Cleats were a main source of cold for me.

Using a thick sorbothane insole certainly helped me then.
Standard leisure pedals and thick base walking trainers + thick woolen socks is another solution.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

monaxle 02 Dec 13:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Thick socks then a plastic bag then a pair of thinner socks. Trousers stuffed into socks. Sheepskin liners in my shoes. It's the plastic bags that make the difference.

My Latest Route: Dec 2009 Chatham to Darenth Loop

DMM 04 Dec 13:18  

Bike:

What I have found is the best to stop cold feet is = Shimano Gore text Winter Boots + with long ski socks then Endura MT500 overshoes.Who can help on hands = finger mine also ways get cold no matter what.

DMM 04 Dec 13:21  

Bike:

What I have found is the best to stop cold feet is = Shimano Gore text Winter Boots + with long ski socks then Endura MT500 overshoes.Who can help on hands = finger mine also ways get cold no matter what.

Provene 08 Dec 08:00  

Bike:

My Profile
I don't tend to suffer from cold hands much, but I do find that my Seal Skinz waterproof gloves are good for the colder days.

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Waltham Chase to Kilmeston Loop

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.