We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Beginners Cycle Route?

VictoriaH 25 Aug 05:45  

Bike:

Hi there,

Myself and my boyfriend would really like to start going on short cycling holidays. He is a regular cyclist but I am a newcomer to it, so we're looking for a cycle route around about 3 days, preferably quite scenic and within our area. We live in Durham and do not drive, so we'd be looking for a cycle route which we could get to without too much trouble, perhaps in the lake district, southern scotland, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this? I plan to train beforehand anyway and go cycling regularly so I can manage something other than a really really easy route :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

shnuggs 02 Sep 06:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Victoria, sorry I don't have any suggestions myself but wish you luck. I've been thinking about going camping in the Lakes for a few days and taking in some rides there, if only the weather would keep fine!

My wife and I recently took up cycling as a hooby to get fit. We live in Spennymoor and I've posted a few routes on here you could try if you like. Are you doing the Durham Big Ride this weekend? We've opted for 'The Beast' whici should present quite a challenge.

Take care,

Pete

ps. We did take a drive to Keswick recently and checked out one of the suggested routes on here which loops through Buttermere, very hilly but beautiful, will ride it one day!

My Latest Route: Sep 2009 Durham Circular via Iveston and Thornley

Cycling Dude 02 Sep 14:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Vicky!

I own a cycle group known as Health Cycling Group, which meets up every two wks on Sundays at Silksworth Ski Slope at 9:30am - healthcycling@hotmail.co.uk for more info!!

Ok routes around durham?

Two main routes spring to mind, W2W and NCN14, you can pick W2W in the main town centre of durham, this takes you into Sunderland and gives you more of a choice on NCN1 and NCN7 cycle routes, it also takes you to hetton-le-hole and if you go in the opposite direction it takes you to Bishop Aukland, Darlington, Barnard Castle, Kendal all the way down to Walney Island. Durham is about a 15 mile ride to Sunderland and the W2W sign posts are all over the route, making sure you are on the right track!!!

NCN14

From the centre of durham, this takes you up to Consett, there is splits into two either continue on to consett, or go onto B.A going along Consett lets you join the C2C to Sunderland, as well as taking you to bede's world in Jarrow!!

There are minor-rds linking these main cycle routes,
Have any questions, please get in touch,
regards
CD

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.