We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Average speed - Page 2

1 2 3 >
Mark Randlesome 28 Aug 10:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all, I've just got back into cycling and posted a few routes on this site that I find really enjoyable.

I live in hilly Dorset and the routes i've posted get me 12.5 average mph, i'm doing 25-30mph downhill and 4-6mph uphill. I'm wondering if this is a 'normal' average speed for cyclists or if i'm not pushing myself enough??

Thoughts would be appreciated!!

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Corfe Mullen to Verwood Loop
Demon 27 Sep 13:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Really, I do believe that, unless you are in a race, the average speed doesn't really matter. What is important is that you are out in the fresh air enjoying riding your bike. The added benifit is that you will be fitter for it and the increase in your average speed as a result of this increased fiteness is a secondary benifit meaning that you fit even more miles into your ride.

My Latest Route: May 2010 Circular round Isle Of Anglesey

stephen george 01 Oct 16:54  

Bike:

Hello mate, hope you're good and don't mind me calling you mate.
My name's Steve and my e-mail address is stephenmlv@googlemail.com.
How old are you? Hilly areas are always challenging and good to build
stamina and fitness. I live in Hampshire, close to Rowlands Castle. The areas really good for keen cyclists and I love climbing the hills around the
Mardens and Harting, Portsdown hill is not so difficult in comparison to the former, I'm 48years old and get out on my bike at least 3times a week. Similar mileage to you, struggle up the hills but the downhills really make
up your time, I've been averaging about 16-17mph but I always eat well
before I go. I regulary eat a high carbohydrate and protein diet but there
are still a lot of fitter blokes and women out there than me. I'm probably
fitter now than I was in my 20's. My bike's a 7005, ali framed, 700 by 23wheel racing cycle.
It doesn't matter at what level you cycle, whether you're keen or just
to keep your fitness level up, the more you cycle the fitter you'll get.

Hope to hear back from you.
Best wishes.

Steve

psycherbiker 24 Oct 08:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi All,
I was reassured by Mark's number re average speed. I also live in Dorset, though on Wiltshire/Dorset border, and the it is alos hilly. My average speeds on Garmin GPs are very similar- 12 MPH average with 30-40 MPH downhill and 6 going up (Thought often difficutl to see the screen as I gasp for breath!).

Conversely, people who have been cycling for longer and are, I suspect, younger! talk about averaging 20MPH.

Great forum. Very helpful.

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Three Counties Circular Ride

Iainturnbull 26 Oct 20:57  

Bike:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post.I did 32 miles today and averaged 16.8mph on GPS. I do on average 120 miles per week and fancy joining a cycling club. Just been looking at the Thirsk sportive for next year. Anyone got any experience of it?
I think your 12.5 is average depending on difficulty route.

globalfish 27 Nov 20:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I can do a local 21.5 mile off road loop at 12.9mph average on a 32.5lb full susser - not tried it on my new lighter bike yet. 12mph is a good off-road speed. 30mph isn't too fast downhill though - I assume that's off-road and not perfect conditions.

I'm not fit - 45 yers old, 13 stone, no excercise and i train on X large pizza + Ben & Jerry's :-)

bloomp 01 Jun 08:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Guys,
More stats / experience for the pot . . .
My last run was a 73 mile round trip over undulating terrain to the coast, almost all road, some decent hills and I averaged 12.69 mph - 2 months ago that pace would have probably killed me - cycling does work - last 1/2 stone but exchanged flab for muscle as well !!
I'm still on off road tires "Kenda Koyote" - anyone changed over to road tires on a trail / mtb bike ? Sure it would all be a lot quicker with road tires . . . I do a bit of canal and dirt trail riding as well so need something with puncture resistance - any tried and tested suggestions ??

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

dan_b23 01 Jun 13:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Guys,
More stats / experience for the pot . . .
My last run was a 73 mile round trip over undulating terrain to the coast, almost all road, some decent hills and I averaged 12.69 mph - 2 months ago that pace would have probably killed me - cycling does work - last 1/2 stone but exchanged flab for muscle as well !!
I'm still on off road tires "Kenda Koyote" - anyone changed over to road tires on a trail / mtb bike ? Sure it would all be a lot quicker with road tires . . . I do a bit of canal and dirt trail riding as well so need something with puncture resistance - any tried and tested suggestions ??

Hi everyone

Bloomp I use slick tyres on a Carrera hardtail MTB. They were £15 off ebay :) and they have been perfect. Much less rolling resistance and can handle rough bridleways that I cycle on as well. Also never had a puncture with them! The exact item is no longer on ebay so I can't show you the exact ones. There are some which are similar but I suppose it is luck whether they are any good.

My last ride was 22.5 miles and I averaged 15.5 mph which I was quite pleased with. 73 miles is a long way though and I wouldn't be able to keep it up for that length :P

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Ponteland to Matfen and Kirkheaton Loop

dan_b23 01 Jun 13:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Sorry accidently copied Bloomp's post in as well :S

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Ponteland to Matfen and Kirkheaton Loop

bloomp 02 Jun 03:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for that Dan - i'll check them out - sound good. I'm conscious of the constant drumming of the tread on the road as i ride - must be slowing me down / taking more effort to spin the wheels.
My ride to the coast was on Bank Holiday Sunday:-

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Bolton_to_Southport_Beach_Circular-Cycle-Route-4754.html

It actually took 2.75hr to the coast & 3.30hr back i.e. 6.25hr for 11.68mph not 12.69 as i incorrectly posted earlier sorry my maths is a bit rusty :-(

Still a pb for me though :D

dudley 03 Jun 07:24  

Bike:

My Profile
knobbly tyres slow you on the road for three reasons

road friction
wind resistance
weight

the worst weight is rotating weight.
two wheels of equal weight, and the light tyre/heavy hub will beat the light hub/heavy tyre hands down.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

mr.mole 04 Jun 17:33  

Bike:

My Profile
I always keep an eye on my adverage speed, that way I can try and improve on it.
Ive been cycling alittle over a year, and already i can feel such a difference.
When I started out 10 miles seemed like a long way, and an adverage of 9mph. Now 25 miles is a quick run out adveraging 14ish mph.

I think doing a few select runs often and trying to keep improving my adverage speed has helped loads. you can gage where your at, and now I can see my improvment i just want to keep it going, it suprs me on more :-)

Dave@uk 04 Jun 17:36  

Bike:

I agree with most of the comments. I think the big factor is the bike type and may be more importantly the tyres. I have a route round a large lake 17 miles and on my mountain bike I am about 1/3 rd slower than on a sports hybrid with marathon tyres.

bloomp 05 Jun 12:28  

Bike:

My Profile
IMHO the last 3 comments sum up the mtb / road bike / hybrid setups and beginner / returning cyclist / enthusiast fitness level debates.
You're not going to be quick if you are unfit or out of training; you're not going to be AS quick riding an mtb vs a road bike - everything else being equal.

Everyone is individual and we all have custom bike setups so we can't compare apples and pears.
One man's 15mph is another man's 25mph depending on bike and fitness & technique.

The only true measure is against yourself.

Any increases in speed for the same effort or same speed for less effort due to mechanical tweaks are to be welcomed but ... only when you consistently better your time for a route on the SAME setup can you smile because .... YOU have improved :-)

I do like the idea of road tyres on a trail bike tho' - mechanical efficiency rules ok!

AlexUK 07 Jun 04:39  

Bike:

I've been tempted recently to get a set of these for my bike, anyone here that has used these?
Slightly expensive but they get a lot of good reviews :

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/city/trekking/travelcontact/travelcontact_en.html

Provene 07 Jun 06:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I've got puncture proof innner tubes on my mountain bike tyres - brilliant, but I don't know if they do them for road bikes. My road bike (a very old, very wonderful Dawes Street Sharp) has puncture resistant tyres that the LBS fitted for me.

Average speed does depend a lot on the terrain. My Kilmeston Loop is 10.3 avg in one direction and 12.4 avg in the other ('cos I go down a big, long hill and up the hills on a shorter, bloodier grunt that way)

Not racing as such, but hate being overtaken! Tried to catch a guy on a 'razor blade' of a road racer the other night. My Garmin said I was doing 21.5 and he was pulling away from me! It's all to do with the bike, obviously!! ;)

As bloomp says - just get out there and enjoy. My friend and I did the BHF Round the Harbours at the weekend and had a blast. Loved it. 29.11 (according to the Garmin but I didn't include the ferry crossings) took 2.44 cycling time. Longer including registration stops and ice cream stops, which I stopped the clock for.

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Waltham Chase to Kilmeston Loop

saulp75 20 Sep 09:34  

Bike:

Hi Mark i have just returned back to cycling like your self and i found when i concentrate on average speed i often get demotivated as it can be low sometimes and there are so many factors that can affect it. as long as you are tired but not dead after a ride your doing the right thing im sure. why not time your self over certain sections to make it interesting?and try to improve over time on the sections you pick.
have fun mate
Saul

rustyspoke 20 Sep 13:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I would say its ok and unless you are going to race what you worried about.
Dont become a slave to the computer on the handlebars.
My average is up and down it depends on how i feel on the day and the route i choose but i would say your ok.
I know Dorset very well as i am Dorset based.

winnersh cyclist 21 Sep 11:39  

Bike:

My Profile
I would recommend you to have MiCoach on your phone or mapmyride etc as I too have been at the same speed and it will give you an accurate avg at any point of your journey I am 52 took up cycling couple of years ago and am 2 stone over weight havent done much in 15 years and for the past year didnt matter what I too was stuck on 12.5mph .

i did the Britanny TDF route and yes Nothing faster than 12mph and thats hilly.

Last month I joined a gym and I have jumped to 15mph also going up hills I was same as you 4 to 5 now am 7 mph plus still not fast enough compared to my son.

The other day I went to the other side of Medmenham Hill and was wow I didnt feel that.

Something I discovered recently was SIS go fuel Hydrate 2 tea spoon fulls in my water bottle and I cant believe how much stronger I have become it doesnt build muscle just replaces salts etc that you lose via sweat .

My latest weeze is learning from others that to get your cadence high use a Fixie so thats my next purchase
Hope it helps

ed1234 23 Sep 18:49  

Bike:

I started riding about 6 months ago doing a 5 mile commute each way to work. Being a five stone overweight middle age man my first ride to work took me 45mins. About 6mph ave.

Six months 4 stone lighter im getting an average speed of 17mph to work and doing around 125 leisure miles a week.
Going back on a bike has changed my life i only wish i had done it earlier.

thalbergmad 01 Oct 16:17  

Bike:

I do tend to keep an eye on my averages although I am only a leisure cyclist.

On a 10 miles and back out on the marshes, I would probably average about 13 - 15mph, but I averaged only 9mph on the 75 miles around the Isle of Wight. When I reached the halfway point, I found out that several people had already finished.

Thal

winnersh cyclist 02 Oct 07:56  

Bike:

My Profile
ED1234 I am 52 2.5 stones overweight having lifted nothing more than the remote for 21 years,took up cycling two years ago and was doing 1 mile at an average of 4mph and now do 30 mile plus rides and have a best of about 14.7mph average however havent lost any weight at all cut down on food potions take aways eat bran flakes 1 gramme and train at the gym at least 4 to 5 times a week with a trainer twice a week and two spin classes, have done 80 miles plus rides and feel if its not at least 40 miles I shouldnt have bothered. So I keep hearing about weight loss cant seem to achieve it so well done

excalibur 06 Nov 15:00  

Bike:

hi

i started cycling in june this year in a bid to quit smoking. it worked and i lost 10lbs and as a result decided to do a charity ride cross country from morecambe to whitby. i joined a gym to help with building my legs up and took in some spinning classes which helped a lot,sold my car and cycle to work every day. after 3 months training, not doing much long distance, max i did was 53 miles, i completed the ride in 7.hrs 25 mins total distance 132 miles with only six short pee/drink refill breaks. keep peddling and your speed will increase, know your limits on how hard you can push yourself and for how long.
i am 46 now and wish i had taken cycling up a long time ago,

winnersh cyclist 07 Nov 07:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Your story is same as mine except the age I am 52, am a non smoker, plus am in the south

123>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.