We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Are you a road or mtb cyclist?

krazykayaker 21 Apr 17:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, i'm a newbie on here and a newbie to cycling

Does this forum cover all aspects of cycling or is it just road bikers or just mountain bikers??

I've just got into cycling after winning a Giant Yukon MTB 2009 and decided to use it to get a bit fitter and a bit slimmer (lost 15lb's so far!!) and i'm also hoping it will help my dodgy knee

I only use the bike on the road (at the moment!) as i'm trying to improve my fitness before going off road

SO, what sort of cyclist ARE YOU and how many of you use a MTB as a road bike??

PS. i've tried a road bike and couldnt get on with so i'll be sticking with my MTB !

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green
happy 21 Apr 17:11  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hi krazykayaker,

I'm one of those awkward people who calls them self a mountainbiker, but really does most of their cycling on the road.

When I was in Scotland, you couldn't really go anywhere without finding good MTB trails, but in Merseyside there seems to be an extreme lack of anything to do on a mountainbike.

Despite this my favourite cycling is Mountain biking. Can't beat thundering down a hill uncontrollably and getting covered in mud :)

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

mattk 22 Apr 04:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I bought a mountain bike (hardtail) and have only been to a couple of off-road trails and the rest have been mainly road routes. For me it's having the versatility of being able to go off road when I want to (or have the opportunity to) whereas a road bike wouldn't be suited to variety.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

flic48 22 Apr 09:17  

Bike:

Hello,
My wife bought me a Giant XTC 4.5 hardtail for my 50th, as a hint to get fit. I do a mix of road and footpaths which is good fun. I did a 45 mile charity ride on Sunday and changed the tyres for 26" x 1.5" road tyres. What a difference! I'm doing the London to Brighton in June so the road tyres will be going back on. I need every help at my age!

stuartkendall 23 Apr 05:48  

Bike:

My Profile
I much prefer MTB. Roads just burn away my precious rubber. Road miles can be good for fitness though and certainly help with off road climbing. Less wear and tear on parts too.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 St Mellons to Coed Coesau and Draethen Loop

tonythegreek 24 Apr 12:44  

Bike:

My Profile
i am a bit of bothup here in northumberland we have a lot of disused railway lines maybe a couple of hundred miles or so
called the waggon ways (most nicely gravelled)
but also we have some lovely quiet roads in and around
and sustrans have got two routes passing my door route 10
and route 1
have a look on the sustrans web site for a more detailed discription
maybes i should get a job for the tourist board it certainly sounds like a brochure LOL

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

happy 24 Apr 12:52  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
hmm.... must cycle to northumberland...... sounds like a lovely place

:D

some of my favourite cycling is along gravel paths and disused railway lines. It's usually a much more direct route going from a to b, shaving miles from an alternative road route.

And of course! no cars. Altho dogs and pedestrians can be just as dangerous but generally much more fun.

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

tonythegreek 24 Apr 15:03  

Bike:

My Profile
my normal weekend route sometimes can be a bit busy
whats even more frightening is them tractors

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

skudupnorth 27 Apr 09:44  

Bike:

My Profile
BOTH !! Road to work in the week,getting dirty at weekends up and around Rivington or both at weekends trying out the Trans-pennine route.

merveilleusmark 28 Apr 05:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Predominately Road rider but like to mix it up a bit with some off road work!

My Latest Route: May 2009 Hailsham to Seaford via Ditchling Beacon

avcon 02 May 13:34  

Bike:

I started out as an mtber, but turned to the road several years ago after I really buggered my knee (it now can't handle the trails) and now I'm a trackie too!

And yeah, I used my mtb on the roads several times...mainly to get to the muddy trails.

Patt 26 May 17:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Both, but my road rides are pretty much like mtb rides because we try to keep them on little lanes and traffic free whereever possible!

STID 02 Jun 03:28  

Bike:

My Profile
I started on road and have continued on road. Never fancied off road biking or riding a MTB.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

sonyfreak 30 Jul 20:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi krazykayaker, like you I got back on a bike after 20-odd years in a bid to get fitter and lose some weight. Bought a Barracuda Plasma DS MTB, nothing too flash, and used it initially to get to work (all road work). However, as my level of fitness has increased (and my confidence with the bike) I have ridden further afield and on varying terrains. At the very least an MTB gives you the opportunity to do both. Happy cycling wherever it takes you.
By the way, I'm not sure where in Merseyside "happy" lives, but just North of the Liverpool Loop Line towards Ormskirk gives plenty of scope for some decent off-road riding.

cinammongirl 31 Jul 07:15  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi krazykayaker
Im a road cyclist, most of it in london, but i started as a mountain-bike owner, until i discovered the wonderous speeds that one can reach in a road-bike, especially comming down hill..

My Latest Route: May 2010 Woolwich Dockyard to Catford Station

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.