We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Advice on hill climbing

Livinhope 21 Jun 17:05  

Bike:

I live in the Peak District and have only been cycling again for a couple of months. I'm in my 50s and overweight and have managed to get up to around 30 miles but avoiding the major hills in the area. My question is; how difficult is it to get the strength and fitness to be able to climb hills such as Winnets Pass or Mam Tor? I have seen many young men have to get of and walk up Winnets Pass and would appreciate any advice on gaining the necessary fitness.

sonny walkman 21 Jun 18:28  

Bike:

My Profile
I suggest that you aim for one of the less daunting hills to begin with and aim for various landmarks on it such as litter bins, telegraph poles, bus stops etc one at a time as you climb. Once you are comfortable with that hill, then try one that is a bit more challenging and use the same principle.

There is no set timescale for how long it can take to achieve the fitness levels as there are so many variables, but the old adage of practice making perfect does ring true. Don't be put off if others overtake you on a climb, just do it at your own pace.

I live in a reasonably hilly part of Manchester - and whilst I appreciate the hills near you are in a totally different league, the general principle of my suggestion is the same.

Good luck

dudley 22 Jun 02:56  

Bike:

My Profile
i think that rides that give you intermittent hills are good, so you get a bit of hill, a recovery period, a bit of hill, a recovery period etc.
going straight for a monster hill is going to be difficult, and getting further and further up a big hill before getting off, whilst achievement, is still easy to see as failure.
Small hills that you can do will give you the sense of achievement to move a step bigger.

Also, low gears, and fast legs.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Livinhope 22 Jun 03:35  

Bike:

Many thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I have started to do and seem to be making some progress. I intend to keep this up with a weekly challenge to try to get up one of ithe larger hills around me even if this results in exactly what you said I.e. measuring my progress on how far up I can get on a week by week basis.

I guess time will tell with regard to my original question, what prompted it more than anything was seeing some many young fit cyclists who appear to be experienced and have good quality road bikes unable to climb these particular hills. Therefore I was wondering if this is something a older and less fit individual has a hope of achieving. But I guess we are all have different levels and capabilities to aspire to.

once again many thanks for your response.

Livinhope 22 Jun 05:09  

Bike:

Thanks Dudley

Low Gears and fast legs, great advice and something to work towards, however at the moment it feels more like "slow legs or no legs". Many thanks for the advice

dudley 22 Jun 11:48  

Bike:

My Profile
yes, it is very easy to want more lower gears!
Once you get to the lowest, there's nowhere else to go!

there are plenty of cyclists that can go out and knock off 100 miles, but are defeated by hills.
Training on hills will make you a better hill climber, there's no doubt.

Don't be afraid to drop gears early. Don't wait until you grind to a snail's pace before dropping gears.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.