We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

4 Day Bike Ride

longbob 22 Jul 18:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Evening All,

My first post but must admit to having using this site a fair few times of routes in the past.

Me and my oldman are planning a 4 day ride during August and just looking for any ideas of routes. We will be driving from London to a starting point (anywhere within a 4/5 hour drive at the most) and looking to do a round trip carrying what we need for the ride on our backs and stopping off in B&B's (a pub close by would be nice!) and ending up back at the car on the last day.

My dad's legs arent quite what they used to be (he'll love me saying that!) so really no more than around 60 miles a day (I could try and push him more but want him to make it round!).

Not fussed about starting point and hills arent really a worry. just a nice ride with some sights to take in and a cold beer and good food at the end of the day.

Any suggestions / past rides that you could recommend would be great!

Best
Rob

Ride2win 26 Jul 15:37  

Bike:

My Profile
I cant think of any at the mo , but it sounds good , wish i was comming.. good luck ...

My Latest Route: Jul 2010 Strood to Gravesend Loop

longbob 06 Aug 13:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah should be good...looks like we have settled on Norfolk so anyone with some good pubs / routes / places to stay then let me know!

dudley 07 Aug 05:33  

Bike:

My Profile
hills clearly are a problem, then!

watch that wind across the fens..

Ely, King's Lynn, Wells etc.
nice beaches

all decidedly flat and unimpeding!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

longbob 08 Aug 12:54  

Bike:

My Profile
LOL Thanks Dudley,

More of a problem for my dad than me now-a-days...the days of him waiting at the top for me are long gone!

Cheers for the recommedations...should be good fun (and nice and flat!!)

Pesmo 10 Aug 11:41  

Bike:

My Profile
The worlds your Lobster.......60 miles a day over 4 days should see you do pretty much all the best bits of Norfolk.

London_Rick 18 Aug 03:42  

Bike:

My Profile
We did a ride last year which I can recommend. We too drove from London to the start in Ely Cambridgshire, left the cars and did a circular route back to the starting point:

Day 1: Ely to Kings Lynn
Day 2: Kings Lynn to Cromer
Day 3: Cromer to Norwich
Day 4: Norwich to Ely (with option of Norwich to Thetford then train to Ely)

This was a fantastic ride that followed marked cycle routes (routes 11 & 1) for much of the way to Cromer, fantastic Norfolk countryside with hardly any traffic and mostly flat. Roughly 50 to 60 miles per day although day 2 was a bit further. Stayed in B&B's and recommend booking in advance so you have somewhere to aim for and a guaranteed bed for the night! Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

My Latest Route: May 2010 Baldock to Therfield Circular

dudley 18 Aug 09:07  

Bike:

My Profile
how about Ely to Elie?!

Ely - Norfolk (cathedral and not much else)
Elie - Fife (cricket on the beach and the finest fish and chips in THe Ship Inn for miles around!)

a snip at around 400 miles!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.