We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Whitley Bay to Scarborough in September

txbnet 29 Jun 11:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

I'm hoping to complete a ride in one day from Whitley Bay to Scarborough. I've been looking at the National Cycle Route 1, is that the best way to go? Also does it have any parts which are hard to follow? I have no maps. Finally is there a part of the N1 missing around Whitby area, and is there an alternative to take a quiet road?

Thanks everyone

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham
mr.mole 29 Jun 18:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Im not sure of the route from Whitby, I do know route one fairly well from Sunderland through to middlesbrough.

Id be intrested in joining you if your up for a tag along, depends on the date ofcourse

txbnet 01 Jul 02:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for that. I've printed off some small maps from the Sustrans website and it appears to have a break around Whitby but it suggests a route via a broken line which I suspect means an unsurfaced track.

Yes there's no problem in doing a few miles together along the way but I am not too fast, I just love plodding along at 10 - 14 mph depending on the terrain and weather. I love taking in the views, something you can't appreciate in a car!

I'm cycling it (prob. one way) to take part in our lads golf weekend in Scarborough - all my golf mates reckon I'm totally mad, they're probably right!

But hoping to build up to rides of around 100 miles a day before doing a 550 mile Amsterdam to North West France on my hols. Most I've done is 60 miles a day. Does anyone know if it is a huge step from averaging 60 to doing 100 a day?

Thanks again

bloomp 05 Jul 06:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Try
http://www.aucu61.dsl.pipex.com/Scarborough%20Whitby.htm
it looks quiet & picturesque

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

richie1976 06 Jul 16:09  

Bike:

Hi TC !!!

This is your cycling partner from sunday mornings - cant help with any info, just recognised your itinery and had to post something!!!! c u for training on sunday
Cheers pattie.

txbnet 06 Jul 16:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Patti what are you doin' on here? Haven't you got a lovely wife and a life? !!!

albion 11 Jul 08:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I use route one from Hetton Lyons Country park, turning off at Hurworth Burn when I visit Hartlepool for the day from Wrekenton.
A bit to watch out for is where Route 14 and Route 1 diverge at Wingate/Station town. North to South it is easy to miss the small non sign with route one being the upper right path parallel to the lower route 14 to Hart.
Take a printed internet maps. I certainly recommend using http://www.cyclestreets.net so see all possible routes. I assume you are taking the Whitby/Hawsker to Scarbrough old railway line which is always worth doing.

I'm now planning a day return ride from Hartlepool to Whitby for one day this or next week.
I'm new up in the north east and was very happy to discover all of the waggonways and railways. The North East of England certainly has the best 'gentle incline' long distance cycling in the UK.

Cyclestreets.net shows and confirms the 'full' existence of regional route 54 which goes from Boro to North Skelton. (use cyclesteets and the multimap ordance survey for complete planning)
SO not use red national route 1 at Boro I will join blue regional route 54 along the old railway through Guisborough and then road the final leg to Whitby. Although I've cycled to Whitby from Hartlepool a few years ago this bit is new to me but looks very much a 'preferred route'. Extra long hills damage/terminate my knees so 'planning' is always foremost with me.

I will report back on how it goes. However I have some old multimap stuff on my cheap car GPS. That certainly stops me getting lost. For you I think once south of Sunderland most of the whole route is straightforward. Whitby to Scarborough is certainly easy.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

albion 11 Jul 08:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Apologies for the spelling/grammar.
My first post here and there is no edit button!

mr.mole 11 Jul 13:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Albion. I've been from Stockton to Whitby afew times this year, its a great ride, although it does take me most of the day. Im off work next Tuesday and was thinking of going on a long ride, so let me know if your going that day and we could do it together???

albion 14 Jul 12:35  

Bike:

My Profile
That day is a possibility but I do play it slightly by ear.
If the weather forecast is ok with only showers and sensible winds then it is quite likely.

The other thing to note is that I would probably aim to cycle back to Gateshead the same day.
It would thus for me mean an early start crossing the transporter bridge at approx 7am with not too long a stay in Whitby.

albion 14 Jul 12:43  

Bike:

My Profile
The reason the sign where route 1 and 14 diverge is because its a jungle there.
A did the journey sunday, and missed seeing the sign yet again though I took my chosen route correct.

Anyway I spent a few minutes clearing beanstalk weeds and some of the tree branches.
I imagine that tree was not in the way when the sign first went up!

You cant go wrong if you remember that the divergence choice is 1/3rd of a mile after crossing the main road which has both right angle approaches both side and a mini pedestrian island in the middle.

nelad 07 Aug 04:09  

Bike:

Hi, does anyone know, if SUSTRANS has been told about the signage being blocked from view at the point mentioned THE 1 AND 14 ROUTES im sure SUSTRANS will do whatever is needed

albion 07 Aug 07:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Now seems very visible last time I passed it though of course being interested in seeing the effect of my handywork double made sure I saw it.

I decided Whitby was pushing the boat out to far for me. Guisborough was a nice run with the regional route 54 to Pincinthorpe being historically interesting.

Confusing though in that the Boro approach to the old line cycle track you cross the railline twice. And for the 2nd crossing you have to lift your bike over a locked gate.
Health and safety cover your backside stuff to put children off maybe?

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.