We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Somerset Cycling Routes

happy 05 Apr 05:54  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Anyone cycle in Somerset?

What's your favourite places to cycle and why do you like cycling in Somerset?

Cheers

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71
nantes23 06 Apr 05:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Happy.
Can't talk about off-road stuff other than I know there is some great routes over the Mendips to the north and over Exmoor to the west be it
on or off road.
On tarmac keep to B roads especially in the summer as the main A roads
are heavy with traffic with tourists and people travelling down thro Somerset on their way to Devon/Cornwall.
Somerset gives you a great mix of challenging hills with the Mendips/Quantocks/Brendon/Exmoor etc but also some fast flat parts on the Somerset levels near Glastonbury.
My favourite on-road bits are the road down thro Cheddar Gorge into Cheddar and the ride up to Dunkery Beacon via Dunkery Hill on Exmoor.

Enjoy

Nantes23

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Wroughton to Upavon Loop

iainj837 25 Apr 20:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi happy i cycle over the levels on a regular basis. I am going for a nice ride on Sunday 2nd starting from Wells going through Wooky, Wedmore bos have a cake stop then on 2 Axbridge Cheddar then back to Wells

My Latest Route: Feb 2009 The Meare Run

Hauki 26 Apr 08:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Im suprised that there hasn't been more replies for this, Somerset is such a picturesque county ideally suited for cycling, I enjoy the Somerset Levels and surrounding villages.

My Latest Route: May 2010 Langport to High Ham Figure Of 8

iainj837 26 Apr 12:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Hauki, I am hopefully going on a ride on Sunday the 2nd.
If your intrested I am starting in Wells around 10 o'clock.You can pm me if you wish

akbond1973 02 May 12:04  

Bike:

I live in Yeovil and have a few road routes I ride regularly each week. Favourite is out through Ash,Muchenley,Drayton,Barrington and back through South Petherton,Overstraton and back through Montacute to Yeovil. My more hilly route takes me out through East coker,Halstock,Corscombe,Closworth,Yetminster,thornford,Sherborne. I have ventured out to Highham,Shapwick to Wedmore and back.Now I just need to add Cheddar to that route if my legs have it in them :-) If anyone would like to ever meet up for a spin then give me a shout.
Regards
Andy

iainj837 02 May 14:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Andy, I live in Blackford which is about 2 miles from Wedmore.
I go over to Chedder quite a bit.
If your ever come over this way give me a shout.
You can always pm me and I'll give you my number

petemounfield 08 May 06:55  

Bike:

The Exmoor Cycle Route takes in some fantastic scenery and wildlife including Exmoor Ponies and wild deer can be seen.

It starts in Porlock, then winds up a quiet toll road with fantastic coastal views onto the moors and along to Lynmouth. It then oes back onto the moors in a 60 mile circular route.

more information is available at www.southwestcycletours.co.uk

cheers

Pete

JustJ 18 May 11:46  

Bike:

I love cycling the Quantocks Ridge which is west of Bridgwater. It's like being on top of the world :)

skyjack 22 Apr 08:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Happy check my route posted covering exmoor porlock carhampton. views to die for and wild life to dodge as well as the odd grumpy farmer in his 4x4. But good fun early in the morn on a sunday no one about. if you need a buddie drop me a reply
Paul..

My Latest Route: Jul 2011 Bishops Lydeard to Wiveliscombe

Garminforerunner 14 May 12:20  

Bike:

some fast flat parts on the Somerset levels near Glastonbury.
My favourite on-road bits are the road down thro Cheddar Gorge into Cheddar and the ride up to Dunkery Beacon via Dunkery Hill on Exmoor.

newrider1967 14 Sep 07:48  

Bike:

My Profile
I Love to ride around the levels Cossington, Chilton Polden area nice ride out Bawdrip to Glastonbury is agood route.

NewRider1967

gilliwolfe 28 Feb 06:14  

Bike:

We are just about to set up budget accommodation for cyclists in our newly converted self-contained loft room. Will accommodate four people and has own loo, washing facilities etc. Shower and washing machine in adjoining boot room.It'll be a bit like a comfy en-suite camping barn, if you get my drift. Would suit friends or a family. There's a lovely camping space too. We're on the edge of Westhay Moor between Wedmore and Wells so easy stuff on the Levels and close to more adventurous on the Mendips. Oh, and you can meet our goats...........

antnee 19 Mar 07:39  

Bike:

My Profile
The county of Somerset is a great place to cycle as there as some really good routes from the flas of the Somerset levels to th steep climbs of the west Mendips.

in fact you could look at some of my routes I've put on here though don't do some of them in the week as can be heavy traffic on the main A roads unless your brave or a fool like me!

Some of the best routes are the longer easy ones say going down to glastonbury and across to Bridgewater or Taunton then back up throgh as many of teh lanes you can find to my patch here in Weston Super Mare.

And we do have the Strawbury Line cycle route 26 which is Traffic free for almost all of its route from Yatton to Chedder ideal for family runs as a car park at the Yatton Railway Station end.

My Latest Route: Aug 2013 Part Two Of Two Weston Super Mare to Gloucester and Back to Bristol (via Chestow)

antnee 19 Mar 07:39  

Bike:

My Profile
The county of Somerset is a great place to cycle as there as some really good routes from the flas of the Somerset levels to th steep climbs of the west Mendips.

in fact you could look at some of my routes I've put on here though don't do some of them in the week as can be heavy traffic on the main A roads unless your brave or a fool like me!

Some of the best routes are the longer easy ones say going down to glastonbury and across to Bridgewater or Taunton then back up throgh as many of teh lanes you can find to my patch here in Weston Super Mare.

And we do have the Strawbury Line cycle route 26 which is Traffic free for almost all of its route from Yatton to Chedder ideal for family runs as a car park at the Yatton Railway Station end.

My Latest Route: Aug 2013 Part Two Of Two Weston Super Mare to Gloucester and Back to Bristol (via Chestow)

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.