We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Jurassic coast Dorset and Devon Help.

gezshaper 11 Feb 17:37  

Bike:

Copied from main forum if thats not out of order.

Hi all,
New to the forum. I'm planning a 3 day trip in the summer and need a bit of help with the route. Last year a group of us cycled the devon coast to coast over a weekend - Ilfracombe to Plymouth - and this was easy enough because its a well cycled route and well posted. This year we are looking at the south coast provisionaly Bournemouth to Teignmouth along the coast. This may be shorter if we can cover less roads. I know national route 2 runs along here in places but information on the route isnt that good. Can anyone give me any interesting routes in this area. We dont really want to be riding the whole weekend on road and would like to hug the coast when possible. 100 - 120 miles over 3 days is possible though this can be adjusted depending on the ease or difficulty of the routes we find.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

girodelmenga 17 Feb 13:36  

Bike:

I'm working on the very same route. same miles, same time.
we know we want to sleep in a pub close to poole. local brewery.

did you find anything interesting?

dwilkins 02 Aug 10:40  

Bike:

Hello i'm planning a route like this too, did you do this and do you have any notes etc that might help us plan our trip.? We'd really appreciate your insight on route + places to stay etc
Thank you very much
Dennis
denniswilkins@btinternet.com

Mark Bayliss 12 Aug 01:32  

Bike:

My Profile
My comments cover mainly the Dorset section of the route. In order to keep close to the coast your're going to have to some ups and downs. If staying on roads then you can't avoid some busy ones - especially in the summer. For three days then it could be divided up into 1) Bournemouth->Weymouth 2) ->Seaton -> 3)Teignmouth

1:Bournemouth->Sandbanks along seafront->Studland (via chain ferry)->Corfe Castle (could detour via Swanage)->East Lulworth via Ridgeway Hill-> Owermoigne->A353 (no easy alternative)->Weymouth

2) Weymouth ->Rodden->Abbotsbury then serious climb on B3157 (busy in summer but great views)->West Bay->Bridport->Higher Eype->A35 (for descent only)->Chideock
->Whitchurch Canonicorum (via minor roads)->Charmouth ->Lyme Regis (steep climb and main road, A3052 ..alternative is detour via Wooton Fitzpaine, Monkton Wylde & Uplyme)
..then -> B3165 followed by short steep climb->A3052->RCR 52->Seaton

3) Seaton->Branscombe (use minor roads for steepish climb out of Berr) ->Branscombe
->Sidmouth (via steep climb and very steep descent - care as its >.20%)

then ??

I hope that little bit helps

Mark

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Sandwich Faversham Sandwich

gezshaper 12 Aug 04:47  

Bike:

We head out over the bank holiday weekend. We've shortened the route somewhat as we're planning to travel off road as much as we can along the coast path. Spoke to Devon and Dorset council and although they do not promote cycling the coastal path (some frown upon it) it is not illegal. We are now heading from Exmouth to Portland Bill over three days. Cycling off road is much more fun but it can take double the time to travel so some long days in the saddle may be in order. We have a group of eight riders and have booked a campsite near Lyme Regis which we will use as a base. National cycling routes are scarce in this area so I used www.mapometer.co.uk to plan the daily routes and a few of us are going to be using the 'ViewRanger' App which is excellent has OS capability.

I will post after we have finished the ride with more details

Cheers

JenniferHopson 23 May 11:38  

Bike:

Cycle route forum has the England forum about Dorset forum. You can choose the area with the national route 2 runs along here in places. If you're a college student then get [url=https://australianwritings.net/]australian writings[/url] services to manage their essay work. They are providing provisional methods as work. You can make your informational routes. Join in.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.