We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycle route from Cramlington to Backworth/Shiremoor

MandyM 11 Jul 16:02  

Bike:

Does anyone know of a route from Cramlington to Backworth or Shiremoor?

Any help will be great. Ta

txbnet 14 Jul 08:20  

Bike:

My Profile
There's an old waggonway which runs from Seghill to Backworth/Shiremoor and comes out at the new by-pass via Holywell Kennels. Its loose chippings in places and hardened mud track or tight grit in others so its probably not suitable for a road bike, but no problem at all for a hybrid or mtb.
I guess there must be a similar waggonway from the old part of Cramlington to Holywell to pick up the Seghill one, so you should be able to do the whole thing without coming into contact with traffic which is ideal!
Cyclelogical Bike Shop in Forest Hall (I don't own it or work there but its a great friendly shop) has a lot of maps showing the old waggonways - you'd need the North Tyneside one and one for South East Northumberland - while you're there grab the others, Sunderland, Gateshead, South Tyneside etc, you never know when they'll come in handy. And they're all free ! (Someone's even selling them on eBay !!)
Best of luck.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

psioin5mx 23 Apr 17:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I have an off road route that goes from the centre of Cramlington through Seghill, Backworth and Shiremoor ending at the tyne pedestrian tunnel. Just search for "Cramlington to tyne tunnel" on google and it will direct you back to this site and the route. The track I use comes out by the Blue Bell pub in shiremoor before continuing on route 10 down to Tyne tunnel. Sorry for delay in reply. PS I use this route every work day and still havent got bored with it.

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Cramlington to Tyne Tunnel(pedestrian)

tonythegreek 24 Apr 12:44  

Bike:

My Profile
hi mandym if you go to the sizzlers pubon the road thats parrallel to the a19 spine road there is a track on the otherside of the road through the underpass which takes u to seghill farm when you go through to your right up an old road to the big club i think its about third rightup to the end across the road there is a footpath which has a sign next to it saying jolleys turf that take u up to backwoth
hope that helps and you havent falling asleep
tony

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

Chonkers 25 Apr 15:46  

Bike:

Hi manyM go to north Tyneside councils website they have a lot of maps for the said area,s for cycling to download or pop in if you can to the lakes leisure centre in killie they have the cycle routes maps there for the wagon ways and roads etc for north east and coast,plus south shields etc

Cheers

Ian

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.