We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

C2C

1 2 3 > >>
bill-lancaster 12 Feb 15:47  

Bike:

Am planning to do the c2cin May this year.
This being my first long distance bike trip I have a few concerns and hope to get some help from this forum.
I fancy the Workington to Sunderalnd because it seems the shorter(131 miles) and least hilly of the many possible routes.
Studying the Sustrans map(NN7A) the route seems complicated. How well signed is it?
I've been trying to find a gpx/xml file for the route but can't find one - any ideas?
I also see that Google maps have a bike route facility. It shows a route Workington-Carlisle-Hexham with a mileage of 117 miles. Has any one tried it?
Any thoughts would be welcome.

dan_b23 15 Feb 12:01  

Bike:

My Profile
How many days are you doing it in?

There's not much difference in distance whether you start from Whitehaven or Workington. Whitehaven is the traditional starting point and has the C2C sculpture that you can take your photo with.

All the routes are hilly as you are going through the Lake District and the Pennines. Going via Hexham avoids the big climb to Hartside but there's lots of short sharp hills that still take it out of you!

Plenty of GPX files available... this is a good website:
http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/cyclemap/Cumbria - take your pick of starting point.
http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/penrith-to-consett-cycle-route
http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/consett-to-sunderland-cycle-route

Hope this helps!

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Ponteland to Matfen and Kirkheaton Loop

dawes-rider 16 Feb 08:50  

Bike:

My Profile
hi there bill
we done the route a few years ago startred at keswick leaving the car in a back street then cycled the route to whitehaven, followed the coast down to workington then back to keswick. the route was well sign posted.
we then left keswick and cycled to alston YHA, one piece of advice do not take the short cut avoiding the A686 as it it just a slogg walking along a track, we did it with a chap in his 60s and all that was going through my head was grid ref as to where the helecopter was to land to pick him up!
yes it is hilly but well worth it.
from alston we took the route to newcastle although the route to the city was very nice the route through was very disappointing , wish we had decided on the sunderland finish.
we stopped at the now closed newcastle YHA then followed the route to Haddians wall stopping at Greenhead YHA before returning to keswick for the drive home.
overall the route was well signposted and enjoyable
we covered 287 miles in 5 days hope this has been some use

My Latest Route: May 2013 Newark Route 64

bill-lancaster 17 Feb 03:36  

Bike:

Thanks so much for the helpful advice.
One of my concerns was that of navigation, so its good to hear that the route is well sign posted. Am paying particular attention to the advice re the A686 shortcut since we are both slightly more than 'in our sixties'!

Also I have since realised that if I set my mobile phone satnav (Android/Google Maps) to fairly near destinations (30/50 miles) it seems to follow the Sustrans very closely.

Thanks again!

txbnet 17 Feb 07:52  

Bike:

My Profile
It was interesting to read these comments, especially with regard to sat nav. I have an edge 605 but am not really using it to its fullest extent because I cant read the screen very easily without reaching into my back pocket for glasses! Not easy to do when on the move. So I tend to use it just for logging my routes and stats rather then in gaining any directions. But I do find google maps a godsend, although of course only when stationery! One down side is the navigation application on my android phone chews the battery up very quickly so its used only sparingly. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the solar powered chargers as it might be capable of keeping the phone charged up during a long ride? They seem to be about £15 on eBay so it may be worth a punt. Any thoughts anyone?

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

bill-lancaster 17 Feb 08:15  

Bike:

Yes, I only recently discovered Google Maps now incorporate bike tracks. I am definately going to get a solar powered back-up, one that can be charged from a USB first, then using solar to keep it topped up. I think I can get 4/5 hours out of my HTC Desire if I switch it off during long straight stretches.

The glasses thing is a problem for me too, have thought about using a Bluetooth headset and listen to satnav instructions.

txbnet 17 Feb 14:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I've taken the plunge and ordered a solar charger which will do my sat nav and phone on my longer tours. I'll let you know how it goes!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

loafer 24 Feb 17:57  

Bike:

My Profile
here is a friends route info might help you

http://c2c.freeforums.org/c2c-workington-sunderland-on-a-secteur-14-15-april-2012-t885.html

also my garmin route,s from whitehaven -sunderland which is a better option as a starting point

day 1 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717207

day 2 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717152

day 3 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717099

seomind 03 Dec 07:17  

Bike:

My Profile
I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Cutco

seomind 03 Dec 07:21  

Bike:

My Profile
The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. Cutco

seomind 03 Dec 07:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Very informative post ! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign ! Cutco

seomind 03 Dec 07:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I see the greatest contents on your blog and I extremely love reading them. Cutco

seomind 03 Dec 07:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you've got right here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon! Cutco

seomind 03 Dec 07:42  

Bike:

My Profile
I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . . . Cutco

seomind 03 Dec 08:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up! Cutco

seomind 20 Dec 03:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:13  

Bike:

My Profile
I’m happy I located this blog! From time to time, students want to cognitive the keys of productive literary essays composing. Your first-class knowledge about this good post can become a proper basis for such people. nice one Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:17  

Bike:

My Profile
You re in point of fact a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity on this subject! Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:22  

Bike:

My Profile
You have done a amazing job with you website Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback. Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:39  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Very nice article. I enjoyed reading your post. very nice share. I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks !. Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Pulmonologist

seomind 20 Dec 03:54  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Pulmonologist

seomind 14 Sep 11:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject? Credit Card Affiliate

seomind 14 Sep 12:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I liked your article and I hope you will have many entries or more Credit Card Affiliate

seomind 14 Sep 12:17  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. Credit Card Affiliate

seomind 14 Sep 12:22  

Bike:

My Profile
I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. Vick Strizheus

seomind 14 Sep 12:27  

Bike:

My Profile
I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. Vick Strizheus

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.