We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Birmingham to London

1 2 3 > >>
Josh 29 Apr 08:03  

Bike:

My Profile
I would be interesterd to hear from any one who's managed to complete the Grand Union Canal by bike from Birmingham to London or the other way this year. Really would like to find out the state of the various sections of the towpath and the time taken to do the journey.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 West Bromwich Circular via Great Barr and Kings Heath
Barnzi 11 Jul 03:25  

Bike:

Hi Josh,
My name is Graham, and Im about to attempt the ride form B'ham to London on Tuesday 14th July.

I will let you know how it was.

Rgds
Graham.

jd 11 Jul 06:26  

Bike:

My Profile
i would like 2 know how u get on as i,am thinking of doing it

orange man 11 Jul 16:54  

Bike:

My Profile
EVENIN ALL

I TOO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THAT CANAL ROUTE. AS I AM THINKING OF DOING THE ROUTE

ANDY

My Latest Route: Jul 2009 Elworth Loop with Climb and Canal

jerryb2 11 Jul 19:45  

Bike:

Hey everybody!
I'm thinking of doing a ride from loughborough to London with a couple guys, any suggestions on the route??

Annabel 18 Aug 06:09  

Bike:

Hi All

My brother my Dad and I are thinking of doing this ride also... our main question however is where do you stay overnight en route? I've read that there aren't many places but am surprised by this.

We would are looking for fairly simple B&B's and would be very grateful if anyone had any clues.

Also any stories from people who rode along the canal this summer would be received with great interest.

Annabel

Josh 06 Sep 07:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Just completed the Birmingham 2 London run on the GUC this weekend, 6th& 7th June. Couldn't have picked a worst weekend to do it! Unbelievably bad weather..rain..rain..and more rain. What happened to the Sun!!!

Started out at 6:09am Saturday morning in torrential rain, which only eased up until we hit Braunston, about 45 miles out. Lost one our group at Fosse Locks (31miles) due to him sustaining a knee injury, but got picked up by his wife. I slipped into the canal about 3miles from Braunston...aaaagh. This section of the canal was very grassy, wet, slippy and narrow in many places, probably the worst stretch on the whole route.

My camera and mobile phone packed up after the fall and trip computer was playing up. Seems as if the water got into everything and the others mobiles were affected by the rain getting in.

Left Milton Keynes at 9:20am Sunday morning.. and yes..the rain was even worse than Saturday. Luckily, we only suffered 1 puncture which on was my bike, but was an old repair rupturing rather than the tyre being penetrated. This was 2 miles from Leighton Buzzard.

Due to the poor weather, we decided to save time and take in some road sections after Leighton Buzzard up until Hemel Hemstead (18miles) and again after Uxbridge upto Euston Station (18miles). We managed to get to the station with just 40 minutes to spare!!!

To summarize:-

Saturday - started out 6:09am, arrived @ Milton Keynes Fenny Stratford (Campanile Hotel) 8:30pm
Sunday - started out 9:20am, arrived @ Euston Station 7:12pm

Total time out including breaks etc. 24hrs & 13min

Distance travelled - 145miles (averaging 6miles/hr)

Bike - B Twin7 (Decathlon) Hybrid with 700cc wheels and Schwalbe Marathon with Kevlar Guard and Slimed inner tubes

Looking to do it again, next year, with my mate who pulled out as he was gutted no being able to complete. Hope the weathers better!

Josh

P.S. Check out the threads under "General Chat" Grand Union Canal for comments and advise.

Ella 29 Sep 10:38  

Bike:

Hi Josh

Well done on completing the Grand union London to Birmingham cycle ride . I have just found your post so its a bit late to offer my advice as you have done it now.
I did it in 2005 or 2006 I cant remember which now but found it exteremly enjoyable and not difficult . Admitedly did it over about 4 days .
I carved it up on the map into bite size chunks and planned accommodation accordingly . Starting at Little Venice in London and eventually cycling back to my front door in Birmingham. It was great fun.
I found the towpath fine most of the way , except where it gets a bit rutty round Napton area . Only had to get off the canal at Blissworth Tunnel if I remember as you cant go thro it but the diversion takes you thro a lovely field .
The day we started it was raining but by the time I had finished I had sunburn so mixed weather . My opinion would be that it is a great route , not too taxing one that I would recommend to anyone ....and no navigation as its just a straight line .
Cant believe you fell in the cut !
I would happliy do it again .
This weekend I am cycling round the canal at dudley and the River Severn , Stourport to Worcester .

Ella

Josh 30 Nov 18:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Ella,

Thanks for your post.

I agree this is a really good route...flat, traffic free and scenic, and is easy if taking your time. The reason I did it over two days was that it was a challenge I set for myself and the other guys who took part, and at the same time were raising money fot the NSPCC charity for their Childe Helpline. We managed to raise nearly £3000 for this event.

It's not too difficult to fall in the cut, especially when the towpath is wet, slippery, narrow and your not looking where your going!

As I said on my last post, I'm looking forward to doing it again, but this time just for fun and over possibly three days, taking in the sights and enjoy it bit more. Lets hope the sun decides to come out on that day.

Josh

paulmccann 16 Aug 15:35  

Bike:

I am going to do this ride non stop starting on 31-08-12 . if anyone is up for it write to me at mccannpaul@hotmail.co.uk . I'm not sure if i'll start at 5.30 or mid night . either way some pf ot will be done in the dark

seomind 03 Dec 07:10  

Bike:

My Profile
I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:17  

Bike:

My Profile
This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog! Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:24  

Bike:

My Profile
I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:27  

Bike:

My Profile
I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon… Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:31  

Bike:

My Profile
I’m happy I located this blog! From time to time, students want to cognitive the keys of productive literary essays composing. Your first-class knowledge about this good post can become a proper basis for such people. nice one Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:34  

Bike:

My Profile
You re in point of fact a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity on this subject! Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:37  

Bike:

My Profile
You have done a amazing job with you website Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 07:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 20 Sep 07:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! Zango

seomind 20 Sep 07:19  

Bike:

My Profile
It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist. I agree with your Blog and I will be back to inspect it more in the future so please keep up your act. Travis Marziani

seomind 20 Sep 07:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Travis Marziani

seomind 20 Sep 07:34  

Bike:

My Profile
A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing the information, keep doing awesome... I truly delighted in investigating your site. great asset... Travis Marziani

seomind 20 Sep 07:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs. eCom Good Life

seomind 20 Sep 07:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. eCom Good Life

seomind 20 Sep 07:44  

Bike:

My Profile
It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing. eCom Good Life

seomind 20 Sep 07:49  

Bike:

My Profile
I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work All In One Profits Reviews

seomind 20 Sep 08:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank a lot. You have done excellent job. I enjoyed your blog . Nice efforts All In One Profits Reviews

sharase11 18 Oct 23:52  

Bike:

Playing wordle games is a fantastic method to expand your vocabulary and sharpen your word recognition abilities. Additionally, word games keep your mind engaged and help you avoid mental stress.

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.