We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Bike advice

JohnWarby 07 Mar 05:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Gang. I'm a new member. I am hoping to get a new bike soon. I currently have a Raleigh Manta Ray mountain bike that I have used for several years. Its not a bad all rounder but I want a new bike. I'm registered on the London to Brighton, and want to have one for that. I have about 500 to spend, may be a bit of wiggle room in there. I plan on getting a Hybrid, rather than a full blown road bike. A lot of my training is done on local roads, tracks and tow paths on a canal, so road bikes not the answer. Can anyone suggest the best I can go for, what to look for and stuff like that. I'm 6' 4" so need something that will be comfortable for a big chap like me! Looked into it and saw a Scott Sub 20 for a reasonable price, thats the sort of thing I'm looking at. I am no expert, so the technical stuff goes over my head. All I'm after is opinions on the best I can afford in that price range and the hybrid range.

Many Thanks

John

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Whitwell Rutland Water to Sedgebrook
happy 07 Mar 05:39  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hey John,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry not a direct answer to your question but is it this event you are doing?

London To Brighton

:)

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

ArthurScrimshaw 07 Mar 05:44  

Bike:

My Profile
I've got a Specialized Sirrus which might fit the bill, more road than hybrid it's got flat bars, a triple chainset, v-brakes and 700c wheels but it's capable of use on cycle tracks etc as it has 28 tyres and can take wider ones if needed. If you want more off road capability look at hybrids with 26" wheels.

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Binsted to Whiteways and Bignor Hill Loop

chickenlegs 07 Mar 14:41  

Bike:

My Profile
The boardman hybrid team from halfords is pretty good bang for your buck. I have had mine for three years now with no real problems. I am 6' 2" and 16 stone and regularly thrash the bike around my local cycle tracks and roads. Stuck on a set of specialized armadillo all condition tyres to stop the flats. Great bike.

My Latest Route: Mar 2009 Princetown to Widecombe Loop

JohnWarby 08 Mar 04:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello Happy,

Yes, that is the event I'm booked on. There is a team of 7 of us from the village doing it

John

JohnWarby 08 Mar 04:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Arthur, Chickenlegs, thanks for the replies. Couple of ideas for me to research. Much appreciated. Thank You.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.