We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cold Hands

Fludvd 16 Feb 08:01  

Bike:

My hands have always been a problem in the cold and in the recent weathe I have had to move onto wearing two pairs of gloves. I have found that this is fine for commuting as my ride is less than an hour. I now have a problem on bigger weekend rides where my hands are fine for the first hour but then after that they become freezing cold and I cannot get them warm again.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? It is the cold and not my hands going dead from pressure. I found out just how cold they can get on a 2.5 hour ride when they lost all heat after the first hour.

dudley 16 Feb 08:44  

Bike:

My Profile
not a problem for me, but you might try these.....

http://www.heated-gloves.co.uk/

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Zoof 16 Feb 13:16  

Bike:

My Profile
HI Fludvd

MOST GLOVES SOLD ARE CRAP
ALDI HAD SOME VERY GOOD
WINTER GLOVES NOW MY HANDS
ARE FINE
OR
TRY SKI GLOVES
OK IF U CAN USE
GEARS

tonythegreek 17 Feb 05:33  

Bike:

My Profile
hi fludvd
i have had problems with freezing fingers and i was advised that if you wear mitts rather than gloves the air circulates and your hands begin to heat up
i have bought a pair of goretexlike mitts with a warm lining from my local outdoor shop and they are spot on
hope this helps

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

soren 19 Feb 17:06  

Bike:

My Profile

You could also try this little trick, get yourself a pair (usualy sold by the box) of latex gloves (the sort used by doctors), turn then inside out then wear them under your cycling gloves,it works a treat for me,2-3 hr ride and my hands are as warm as toast.

CharlieNorton 23 Feb 03:18  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a problem we all have in this weather!

Whilst latex gloves will stop the wind effecting your hands, they will stop them from breathing and sweat.

Invest in some good gloves. The more you spend the better the protection and the less restricted your hands/fingers will be, the more expensive gloves use material that is warm yet quite thin.

I use Campagnolo textran gloves, but still add a pair of glove liners on the extra cold days.

One other thing is to just keep the blood flowing through them. keep shaking them, even when they feel fairly warm.

Hope this helps.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 Sevenoaks to West Kingsdown and Shoreham Loop

philwilliams41 23 Feb 13:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I used to have a problem with cold hands till I realized it was my riding style that was causing it.By adopting a more relaxed grip improved my circulation that then resulted in warmer hands.

Elsie 17 Mar 17:40  

Bike:

I have a similar problem and wear very thick gloves but I have been told by the doctor I have raynauds (think that's how you spell it)
They go bright white and I loose all feeling and as it comes back it is very painful and fingers go blackish purple.

I find wearing two pairs of gloves and not a great idea and probably not recommended but I do sometimes put a little deep heat to keep them warm.
I also have tablets (which give you a headache) and take ginko to aid circulation.

Don,t know if that is of any help

Teamalone 01 Jun 16:13  

Bike:

Hello
I'm sure by now you have found your gloves
But just in case you haven't....
Seal skin gloves are the best by far
Wind & waterproof
Also breathable ...
Just google it
BW
Dan

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.