We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Buddy or Buddies for Continental tour 2013

mullinsm1962 11 Jun 07:24  

Bike:

Having done coast to coast in 2011 and end to end last month, I'm now about to start planning next year's madness. I'm looking at getting a ferry to norther Spain, crossing the Pyrenees and then up through France with a ferry to Dover and possibly taking Route 1 from there home to Norfolk if I'm not worn out by then.

I did the end to end with a mate of mine, but as his wife has just had their second, it'll be some time before he's allowed out to play again, so I need to find some other poor fool (or better yet, fools) to put up with my incessant whinging and very loud snoring for a couple of weeks.

I'm happy to consider camping or B&B's or a mixture of the two and expect the trip to take approx 2 weeks at around 60 miles a day (averaging 10mph), plus travelling time at either end. I own my own business so can be flexible on dates and timings.

I'm a married man with two kids, aged 49 and not an axe murderer (yet) I love my biking but also like a glass or three to unwind after a tough day in the mountains. I don't speak a word of either French or Spanish and am planning to "get by" by talking loudly and pointing.

Anyone interested, just drop me a line.

weepaul 17 Jun 17:27  

Bike:

Hi, I like your approach to touring. Just like me. I'm off to France on this Thurs 21st June, Nice to Calais via Marseille and Paris.
Once I return I'd be keen to talk through your plans for the Pyrenees trip.

Paul.

prakash99 19 Jun 08:49  

Bike:

Hi,

Its kind a thing I want to do. I was planning to do this year but for several reason I wont be able to do this year but next year I am very keen to do it.

what month do you think it will be and cost for the the tour (just a good guess)?

By the way I am 36 years old man from London.

PBS

yewcourt 31 Jul 06:53  

Bike:

I'm sure I replied to your post here but can't see it now...
Anyway, I'm similar age and work situation so this objective would be really interesting.
As your plans develop, can you keep me in the loop please.
Kevin

fred 31 Jul 08:53  

Bike:

My Profile
I'd also be interested. Albeit a few years older, I share several of your traits (especially the snoring) and 60 miles a day at 10mph sounds about right for my ailing knees and the extra weight I carry!

One thought,though, would it be better to reverse the route, starting in the flatter north of France and travelling south to build up fitness (for those of us who need to improve it) to help ease the journey through the mountains? A friend of mine did a similar trip from north to south and said he found the climbs in the Pyrenees less of a challenge than he had feared after a couple of weeks building up his fitness on the way down.

My Latest Route: Aug 2012 Overton to Medstead Loop

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.