We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

biking in spain...what type bike is best?

emma2323 30 Apr 16:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys,

Planning to cycle around Picos in Spain. Its a mainly on road route im planning to use my mountain bike plus frame and panniers....does anyone suggest another type of cycle or is mountain bike with road tyres sufficient?

Just thinking MB will be heavier and slower but I am not intending to race around the route but suggestions welcome?

I only have a MB so would mean buying another if so.

Thanks

:-)

skiad1 30 Apr 16:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Yup! Mtb will be heavier & slower...if it's your 1st tour though, then go with it. You might decide touring's not for you & you haven't forked out on a new set of wheels. Any bike, within reason, can be set up to tour. I've toured extensively on a trek 1000. I plan to use a trailer with a Scott cr1 this summer after meeting a Belgian towing a trailer with a carbon trek. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

emma2323 30 Apr 16:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Brill thanks very much.

May just have a word with local bike shop and see what second hand bikes they have coming in.

Thanks again

:-)

paul&deb 02 May 15:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Have you thought about a cyclo-cross bike? You can pick up a decent base model from someone such as Giant for around £700, the bikes are very versatile, can take full mudguards and racks and able to cope with the rough stuff without being too heavy. Tyres are wide and therefore add comfort and able to cope with heavy loads, having drop bars as oposed to flat givey you numerous options for your hands on the bars, being able to move your hands to different positions can be a real benefit on longer rides.

Hope this helps

Paul

txbnet 05 May 05:52  

Bike:

My Profile
A hybrid would be perfect, but rather than fork out for a new bike you could buy some narrower tyres. I'd recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus - almost impossible to puncture - but check at a decent local bike shop what tyres can be placed on your particular MTB rims. Perhaps 26 x 1.25" would be handier than your current 26 x 2". You'd get a great benefit of much less road friction and it will make your ride so much easier. Of course, lock out front forks on the MTB would be essential otherwise everytime you climb a hill, all your energy is wasted by going boing boing into the front forks!

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.