We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycling in Spain and France

1 2 3 > >>
Deb re-Cycles 22 Sep 11:29  

Bike:

I know this doesn't apply to the UK, but does anyone out there have any advice for my husband who will be cycling from Santander, Spain through France to Cherbourg (but taking in the French Mediterranean coast)? He will be gone a month, camping, from 1 October to 1 November and has never done anything like this before!
He's very flexible (within his time constraint) and particularly interested in any good, scenic routes and where to avoid like the plague!
Thanks,
Deb

spoonsm 22 Sep 19:23  

Bike:

This is really bizarre. I am planning a similar ride but taking a more direct route, a total of roughly 650 miles which I plan to do in 2 weeks.

I am not that experienced at such a distance although I am used to cycling in France.

In my limited experience I think the following need to be taken into consideration:

1. Cycle from South to North - the prevailing wind blows that way so you are more likely to have a tail wing rather than a head wind.

2. I would pick a warmer month - don't forget you have to carry everything so if you go in the summer you probably can get away with carrying much less.

3. I wouldn't carry a tent - there are thousands of Chambre d'hote in France and I think they are still reasonably priced. Again think of the weight - especially coming out of Spain into France across (round?) the pyranese (that's not how you spell it but too tired to look it up!)

4. Stick to the minor roads - cycling in France can be almost traffic free and fabulous.

I hope he enjoys it - I am probably doing it next June so would love to hear how he gets on

Mark

psloper 19 Nov 10:28  

Bike:

I am also looking at doing the same sort of thing next year around the MAY/JUNE time but i did john ogroats to lands end this year and fancied doing something in france /spain i would be interested in seeing a route as i dont know much about France

i camped in my end to end so have the bike and the camping gear can recommend the ridgeback panorama great bike for touring on ...

Paul

sam1983 04 Jan 12:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm thinking of doing a Dieppe to Toulon cycle actually - does anyone have any tips? I have a racing bike but am wondering whether another type of bike would be better. I'm also thinking of not taking camping gear and just going to guest houses - what's the best approach in other people's experience?

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Sam

My Latest Route: Mar 2009 Dieppe to Les Andelys

peterahughes 29 Jan 12:29  

Bike:

I too am planning to cycle from Santander to Cherbourg over approximately 10 - 14 days, and am planning it for Wed 6th May. I live in the New Forest so getting to Portsmouth is relatively easy, the direct ferry from Portsmouth to Santander (with a recling seat) is £51 one way.

I too would be very interested to hear of a route which is proven or recommended, or indeed if anybody fancies joining me. I plan to get about 70-80miles per day cycled, and will be taking the most optimum minor roaded route.

Many thanks
Peter peterahughes@yahoo.co.uk

ronmac 02 Feb 18:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all. I'm new to forum and fairly new to cycling. I took it up about six months ago and love it. I'm going to France for the first 2 weeks in April. I've never been there. Am landing in Dieppe so the first thing will be to cycle to Paris and spend a few days looking around. I will then start heading back to Dieppe by a different route, perhaps via Amiens. I intend taking my tent and camping as much as possible but thanks Mark for the advice on Chambre d'hotes, I'll certainly have a look at this option. As far as the bicycle and equipment etc.. goes it will be pretty much a case of 'suck it and see' , learn by my mistakes. Will keep my eye on this forum for all the great advice that can be picked up. Thanks in advance. Ron.

Tom wood 14 Jun 14:21  

Bike:

At long last I've found a website that can help me resolve my problem.

I intend to cycle from Essex via Dover/Calais ferry down through France over the Pyrenees to southern Spain in September 2010. I should be extremely grateful for tips on any associated subject from best bike, equipment etc and initially planning the route avoiding all roads above B class where possible.

Regards
Tom Wood

dudley 22 Jun 12:10  

Bike:

My Profile
glad he's planning October / November!

was just there, and cycling in that heat looks hotter than a snake's ar*e in a wagon rut!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

lambo 21 Jul 06:35  

Bike:

Good trip. I have done trips along the west coast a few times. Through the Landes following the coast have great off road tracks through the trees with the sea never far away on your left. Past the highest dune in Europe and the Bay of Arcachon right up to the tip of the promontory where a ferry takes you over to Royan. Lots of cycle routes around La Rochelle and the Venice Verte toward Niort is interesting. Up toward Normandy there is a long distance route which will take you right into Cherbourg I believe. I've never done that, I followed the coast which is very lumpy but scenic (probably not in November). Have a look at web-sites showing "green routes" or voies vertes. Gives you most off-road cycle routes throughout France, mostly converted railway lines.

Have a good trip. You'll love it if the weather is kind.

RayB 12 Aug 05:06  

Bike:

No doubt the ride that started this on-line conversation has long been completed successfully and without mishap. I would just like to say 2 things about cycling in France. Firstly, because of the nature of the country's road system a little research and planning will provide a perfect route for all tastes, there are simply so many options. Secondly, because cycling in France is so delightful, avoid becoming the cycling equivalent of the 'twitcher', who knows little about birds, but has a long list of 'ticked-off' varieties. If the aim is to travel between the med and the channel in the fastest and shortest possible time, forget it. Go to the gym, it's much cheaper. One of the many delights of cycling is ironically, standing and staring and listening and being amazed and inspired by where the bike has taken you. Take as long as you possible can, particularly in France.

Ray Staffordshire

JDB 21 Nov 11:03  

Bike:

Hi Deb, I can't help with things to avoid, but I myself am training for the Santander/compostela de Santiago route. I got in touch with a guy of 56 who had already done this route, and his advice was to aim to do about fifty miles a day. He also said that he had used an 'old mountain bike' and had done no previous training (personally though I would suggest that he must be a regular cyclist). His age is 56 (regretfully my age too). He also travelled down from the uk, BY BIKE before he did the Santiago route, so given the time your husband has allowed and where he is going to he should do fine or perhaps a week more?. Keep the weight down on the bike though. The coast on the route he is going through is great but MOUNTAINOUS (my wife's family live in the mountains)so you might need to do some serious hill prep. Hope this helps , good luck John.

TRUDGE 18 Dec 08:52  

Bike:

Hi Tom Wood,

I can offer advice on the spain part of your journey as completed it solo in October.
I live in Kent. I cycled to Portsmouth then ferry to Santander.I cycled to my property near the south coast(610) miles total journey. I completed it in 5 and a half days. It was lovely weather and had mostly northerly winds behind me , which is unusual. The first 50 miles off the ferry is very steep(i stayed in Reinosa).I was amazed how flat Spain is with the odd incline but nothing that bad. About 40km outside Seville there was one massive incline which sticks in my mind. I used the national roads which run next to their autovia. The roads were very quiet and motorist more considerate to cyclist than here.I used the N630 and N611 I believe. I went through Palencia,Salamanca and Caceres which are the major towns. I stayed in cheap hostels. There is a Pilgrims walk running through Spain and so every town has acommadation(Albergue)which are like youth hostels but cater for all ages.You do sleep on bunks in rooms with strangers but very clean.I even stayed in a 14th century converted monastry in fuerte de cantos(12 euro B & B).
Breakfast is only coffee,orange juice and toast.
I would like to say that I am also looking to cycle your route next year but in May and heading south to north this time. My bike is still in Spain. I believe it to be approx 1400 miles and I will need to average 90-100 miles a day.

Hope this helps,
Trudge

TiminC 06 Jan 17:29  

Bike:

Hi,

I'm planning on cycling from London down to near Toulon in June. Could anyone give me an idea of the timescale at a medium pace and any tips on possible routes? Would you also prebook the youth hostels, camp sites etc or decide as you go?

Many thanks,

Tim

dickyboycitc 14 Apr 09:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bikers

I've just joined. I'm taking a group of 7 from Bilbao to St Malo on a charity ride end of May this year. We're all pretty green on bikes but we are OK with 60 or so miles a day. My biggest concern is the route from Bilbao to Biaritz as it takes us through the Pyrenees. I'm planning to stay as close to the coast as possible to avoid the worst of the pointy stuff but if anyone can help with a route for this part of the trip it would be very much appreciated.

Have already picked up some useful tips from the other contributers to this site so thanks for these. Once I've done my ride I will post the route we took and give feedback until then however the only tip I have of any use which hasn't been mentioned is to stand in the sea for 5 minutes at the end of each days riding as this acts as a useful ice bath substitute and is good for muscle recovery. I'll believe anything so I'll let you know if it helps.

D

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Carterton to Burford and Faringdon Backtrack

bloomp 07 May 12:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Tom Wood / Trudge - what is the state of your plans to date ?? Trudge - you should be close to embarking - Tom - how are the plans going ???
I am looking to do something similar solo / accompanied this year - advice / practicalities of getting bike over / arranging accomodation / miles per day ??
Paul

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Middlesborough to Thorpe Thewles Circuit

carriepea 13 May 11:42  

Bike:

Dickyboyctc and others

I have just read your post about getting some guidance on the route from Bilbao to Biarritz and wondered if you had received any. I am planning on doing this route in July, coming from Santander ferry and heading up to Roscoff. I too have looked at the map and noted the 'pointy' bits and as I am carrying all my camping stuff, I would like to avoid these without going onto motorways. I am also wanting to find suitable campsites.

If you have received some advice, that has not been posted here, could you send on and I will hold you to your promise to post your route once you have ridden it. Many thanks in advance and best wishes for the ride.

Carriepea

Tartan Cycle 18 May 16:11  

Bike:

Hi all, I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help. I am organising a charity event for September/October 2011. You may have seen our group before; last year four of us walked from Oslo to Glasgow, covering 442 miles (of course, with a flight in between!!). This time we plan to cycle from Glasgow to Madrid. Our route in the U.K has pretty much been plotted, heading almost directly south through England to Weymouth, where we will catch the ferry to Saint-Malo. From there we will keep west; Bordeaux, Biarritz, Pamplona and onwards to Madrid. However, I have never visited this region and have no idea if our route is cycle friendly. Does anybody have any advice, i.e. places to avoid/visit/stay etc?

Your advice would be much appreciated!
Martin, Edinburgh

mark_watson55 21 Jun 14:17  

Bike:

Hello Tom Wood

I am planning a similar route and wondered if you would like any company. Coincidently, I am also going from Essex (although i was contemplating not cycling till inside France). I need to get together some money but am am happy to go whenever. If you are interested email me or reply on this thing. I have just finished my degree so im free and wanted to do something challenging in this time period.

thanks

Mark Watson

madmattbikes 01 Aug 08:57  

Bike:

Hi All, I'm in the process of planning a trip from Malaga, Spain to Ealing west London via Cuenca, Pau, Cognac, Nantes, Laval, Cherbourg, Portsmouth and Windsor. Departing in Oct 2010 to Arrive mid Nov. Got a great route from Malaga to Pau but would be open to suggestions on the French leg of the journey.
Good Luck to all,
MMB

colinarthur 09 Aug 12:03  

Bike:

i bought an atlas at whs went 2 the library and photo copy ideal as u can throw away when finished

Liam_weaver 09 Aug 15:39  

Bike:

Hi all,

I've just stumbled across this site when considering a HUGE cycle ride from Surrey to Almeria, Spain this September or October. I'm hoping to spend the winter in Almeria at a place called Sunseed - an alternative community that aims to teach organic food production, alternative technology and sustainable living.

I've just started scratching the surface of logistics - it's apparently about 1400 miles in total - and that's the fastest route (not necessarily a bike route!). It seems mammoth.
One thing I'm concerned about is the Pyrenees. I reckon I'd not get there until October or even November... my fear is snow and ice! Anyone have any advice on possible routes / likely conditions at this time of year, or is there a lower coastal alternative?

I'm considering solo, or would be happy for the company for part of the trip if others have similar ideas.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards, Liam Thomas.

PS I am athletic, but have no long distance cycling experience.

jonmet 12 Sep 09:44  

Bike:

Hey guys, this is concerning the first reply to this post by "spoonsm". That is exactly what me and a friend are planning on doing at the start of next summer, we will both be 18 with only small amounts of experience in long distance cycling. If you get this can you please contact me about the details of your ride and how it was.
Or if anyone else has done a similar route then could you please contact me
:) thanks

rockhardridefree 05 Feb 12:51  

Bike:

Hi there folks, thank you for informing many questions already!

I'm planning on cycling from nantes to porto, how long would it take? i'm a 26 year old lad and plan to do the journey on a dawes vantage or a raleigh royal. I'm also interested if anyone has done calais to santander and how long it would take?

thank you1

rock hard, ride free!

tom

Nick Bolton 26 Feb 11:13  

Bike:

What a lovely fun forum. I'm going to keep my eye on this. In August I'm cycling from Dieppe to Nice and taking s simple bivvy bag and sleeping bag to make it practically free! Just bought a map and planning the route but it's amazing to see this vibrant group of people with shared values and simple determination.

I'm taking 3 weeks to take it reasonably slowly and enjoy the journey.

Looking forward to checking in on this forum again.

Nick B

Philippa 28 Feb 17:25  

Bike:

I'm thinking (hoping) to cycle from London to the south of Spain. Thinking of setting off mid August and taking a few weeks to enjoy the journey. I haven't really looked into routes yet but would be interested to know of any tried and tested routes.

I like the idea of the bivvy bag and sleeping bag!! Keep me posted on your plans!

Blezard 21 Apr 17:50  

Bike:

I'm cycling the Pilgrim route from St jean Pied de Pont to Santiago and have read somewhere that a helmet is obligatory on Spanish roads. Can anyone confirm this please?
Many thanks
Paul Blezard

Joe le Taxi 26 Jul 07:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I've been looking over at some of these and so many of you leave me feeling a little sad, that is with the exception of Roy who for me has made the best contribution.
Why are so many of you so obsessed with how long it's going to take, how many miles you are going to get in per day? etc etc If what you are interested in, is knocking up as many miles possible in one day as you can, why not just go to Crystal Palace athlectics ground and do laps around the circuit. As Roy rightly points out, it will be much cheaper.
I have just done a ride big-group ride; London-Cambridge (some of you may have also done it) and I would say at least 80% of the guys (gals as we all know are far more aware of the beauty of their surroundings than what most of us guys are, which is why I don't include them in my figure) had their eyes firmly fixed on the horizon, pedalling as fast as they could. Man, when I cycle, my eyes are everywhere. YOU ARE MISSING OUT! It's not about getting there asap, it's about the journey itself!
Joe le taxi.
PS The Cambridge ride was in preperation for a longer ride (Cherbourg-Santander). Go ahead, do 60+ miles a day and see how long you can take it for!

dudley 26 Jul 08:23  

Bike:

My Profile
60 miles a day is a great distance to combine the sights with getting somewhere.
In as little as four hours cycling, you can spend many hours gazing at scenery, stopping at odd places along the way etc.
Lazy starts and long lunch breaks are all easily feasible with a 60mile day target, and it is a distance you can do day in day out for months on end.

time constraints do mean that people have to quantify, though.
If you want to get from A to B, and have two weeks, and you book flights or ferries, you need to know what you can achieve. It is a luxury to just head off with little or no plan!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Joe le Taxi 26 Jul 17:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Fair point and very well expressed!

harrysmum 24 Aug 07:59  

Bike:

I am a mother helping her 16 year old son plan and organise a cycle ride from Santander to Cognac next summer (probably mid July). There will be a mixed group (aged from 15 - 60+) and avoiding the extreme pointy bits would be good. There will be about 10-12 in the group and it will probably be a charity ride. He did the ride from St. Malo to Cognac with his godfather last summer and they had a great time, but this time he has to do the organising and for a larger group.

I see that there is a similar post earlier, did anyone come up with a route and does anyone have advice on campsites (particularly whether there is a need to book municipal camp sites) or anything else that he should bear in mind.

Thank you very much,

Jan

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.